Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Untreated Mulch

Posted by junebugntn 7A Mid-TN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 12:15

I have been looking around in the forums and internet and have found mixed info on this. I need what I consider to be a large amount of mulch for the beds in my yard as the shrubs and trees are still quiet small. I have a source for something like untreated shredded bark from a lumber yard that is inexpensive,looks good for 2 months, last for 8 months and deteriorates into the mostly clay soil helping amend it. I used it in beds last year. This year need even more.

Recently someone told me not to use it in the beds next to my foundation because of termites. My house is brick. Do I need to be concerned? The cost of treated chips will be 3 times what I'm paying now. Can I spray something on the bark/beds? Do I need to worry about it in the yard? I know people who have used this mulch for years with no problem.

Thanks for the input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Untreated Mulch

FWIW, I'm no expert, I'd say if you keep an eye on things you'll be fine. I have hardwood mulch around the foundation and no problem with termites. Termites need food *and* water, and you won't find termites where they don't have a supply of water. If you have drainage issues, then you might be concerned. If you have access to your crawlspace, you can look for termite tubes. If you see those, knock them over and call the exterminator.

Just like cleaning the lint out of your dryer exhaust... it's one of those things you have to keep an eye on.

FYI - Most brick homes (all?) are brick exterior over conventional stud walls, so don't think that brick is much of a barrier.

Finally, I spray a barrier around my foundation with a broad-range insect killer - one designed to last a year (though I spray in spring and fall). I'm mostly trying to keep spiders & the like away from the wife, but the bottle claims to repel termites as well.

Just my $0.02 & ymmv.

--JC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here