Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash / Cucumber Leaves Light Yellow

Posted by eppi Tennessee (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 13:11

I have a nice little backyard garden that has done well the past few years. This winter, I decided to expand by cutting out a section of lawn just as I did in the past replacing the thick clay with a mix of bagged topsoil, a bit of manure and peat. It worked great before, so I thought I would do it again for the little expanded area. The only difference was I turned in oak leaves this time (in January). In the new garden area, I planted squash, cucumber and zucchini. It has been six weeks and they have hardly grown at all and the leaves are all very light yellow. (The stems are skinny close to the ground and bigger toward the center and top of the plants.) The weird thing is they are all flowering, but look like they are on their last leg! I am using Miracle Grow All Purpose Plant Food every couple of weeks, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Did I add the leaves to late? Too much water? Is it a nutrient issue and if so, is there anything I can add to salvage it? Any Ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash / Cucumber Leaves Light Yellow

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 15:59

Your organic ingredients (manure and leaves) should be well composted before adding them to the soil. The best garden soil is often comprised mostly of native soil with appropriate additives only as needed. Additives like peat can really play havoc in a garden because of pH, drainage, and water management issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here