Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bell Peppers-problems -any ideas?

Posted by utdeedee 7A (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 13:51

My bell peppers have had lots of blooms, blooms are falling off and only have about 3 peppers on 7 plants. Is this blossom rot even though it's so dry? Or something to do with the high heat. I water them good once a week. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bell Peppers-problems -any ideas?

I know sweet pepper blossoms fall off with temps above 95ish. Hot peppers love the heat, how appropriate.

I find that peppers don't take much water, once a week should be fine, but with the high heat, maybe hit them again lighting int he morning a time or two? I'm not a pepper expert and figure if I get a couple sweet ones it will be a good year.

o
RE: Bell Peppers-problems -any ideas?

Yep, you can probably blame the heat. Consider moving the plants to a less-sun area than where they are, using under-plantings to help keep the roots cool, ice cubes or ice "chunks" laid around the base of the plants (to slowly melt which keeps the roots cool and waters them at the same time), providing a shade cover if they can't be moved, etc.

Don't feel alone though by any means - what peppers I still have living, are struggling. I'm going to start over from seed AGAIN and strictly container-grow so that I have a bit more control over conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here