Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wall covering vine

Posted by behaviorkelton (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 13:58

I've got a really bad looking retaining wall...it's at the end of my driveway.

I'd like to get a vine growing over it. English Ivy probably would not appreciate the sun exposure...and I know there are strong opinions against English Ivy. Unfortunately, my yard (and the entire neighborhood) is well covered in English Ivy...so our goose is cooked with regard to English Ivy eradication.

Anyway, I need a vine that is evergreen, fast growing, can tolerate up to 6 hours of direct sun (from 9am to 3:40ish), and will grow *down* the wall. I'm going to have to plant it at the top of the wall.

So, is Vinca sun tolerant? Any other wall/ground cover suggestions?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wall covering vine

I've found that Virginia creeper will cover a wall in short order regardless of exposure. It's not as destructive as most perennial vines - just kind of hangs on and grows rapidly. It's easily to pull out from places you don't want it also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here