Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nasty worms/bugs hanging from my conifer trees in TN

Posted by greengreedo TN (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 07 at 14:01

I live in TN, and I have several conifer trees in my garden. Last year, hundreds of black cocoon-like shells were hanging from my conifers, and worms were coming out of the cocoons. It was pretty disgusting looking. I went to a local garden/nursery who told me what I needed to get to kill these mites. The guy also told me that these bugs (I don't recall the name) only come around every 30 years. I went to Lowes and got the spray I needed to kill these disgusting creatures. This was 2006. I sprayed the conifers -- two were salvagable but one was completely killed.

This year, summer 2007, these nasty bugs are back and have obliterated another of my conifer trees. :( I have some of the spray left to kill the bugs that are left, but does anyone know the following, please:

1. Although the conifer looks dead, do you think it will still grow back once the nasty bugs are dead?

2. Do you know what these bugs are?

3. Is there any truth to the fact these bugs only come every 30 years? In my case, they came last year AND this year!

4. Where are these nasty bugs coming from and how can I PREVENT them coming back ever again?

I love conifer trees (although I'm no expert), and I'm disappointed that they're being attacked.

Hope someone can help. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nasty worms/bugs hanging from my conifer trees in TN

They may be what are called "bag worms". I have had bag worms in my cedar tree/bush and they are "terrible ugly nasty" things. The worms live in their tough cocoons and are hard to kill. Depending on how bad the infestation is when you find it it can take several regular treatments to get rid of them. They seem to take advantage of trees that are distressed and they multiply quickly. They can show up every year if allowed to do so.

Usually the tree will survive and return to looking good if you keep it treated and then give it some food and water

o
RE: Nasty worms/bugs hanging from my conifer trees in TN

Compression test!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here