Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's biting me?

Posted by brandon7 7 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 14:14

Somethings biting me, every time I mow, but I don't know what it is. I tried to get a good look at one the other day, but the pain made the encounter brief and I had a hard time taking time to get a close look. What I saw looked about the size of a small fly but flatter. It's wings were black and white. From what I recall, it looked almost like a very small four-leafed clover, with alternating black and white leaves, had landed on my hand. The bits hurt pretty bad, something like a bee sting, when the insect is biting, and they itch badly for days. What is can this be (and how do I stop them)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's biting me?

I don't know what they are called but i agree the hurt. I love being outside mowing the lawn it looks so pretty when in done. What part of Tennessee are you in?

o

Something's biting me too and I've been itching for days.

o

Maybe deer flies - they are extremely painful and on me they get very inflamed and are itchy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Fly info

o

Thanks for the idea, but, no, it didn't look like a deer fly. It's body was more nat-like looking and it's wings seemed to spread to a more round shape (not drawn back at an angle like a fly). I've had more bites since the first post. I sure hope these things go away next year.

o

They love you Brandon. Quit being so nice to them.

o

I don't like killing animals, but I'd gladly kill every last one of these little bad boys if I knew how!

o

I got bit by something today! it was very little with rounded wings and a clear abdomen (which filled with red liquid(my blood i assume) It was so weird!) Doesn't Itch yet...

o

We used to call them "sweat bees", though I know not the proper name.

o

What I've seen called sweat bees are smaller members of the Halictidae family or related small bee species. The things that are stinging/biting me don't look anything like bees to me.

One of these days, maybe I'll be able to capture one of these and take a picture, but the pain is so great, that my normal reaction is to panic and flee.

o

We saw what looked like a large ant with wings. Had a really skinny body. One bit my mil and it hurt badly too.

Does anyone know about the large (Fly boards) that are purple? It seems they are placed all throughout TN? I would love to get one to kill Mosquitos.
They hang in trees - appear to be like 20x16" and are 3 sided.

-Teisa

o

Mr. B.
Look into blackflies/buffalo gnats - Simulium species.

o

I'm going to chime in here a little late but could it be what we have always called noseeums. They are little tiny bugs that you can't see but bite hard. Have them every year here in Middle Tennessee and they will drive you bananas.

o

I sure had no problem seeing what was biting me! I didn't have time to examine it closely, but, as I wrote earlier, it was a bug with wings that resembled the leaf of a four-leaf clover. I believe the body was pretty small, but the winger were as large as a small four-leaf clover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here