Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andi956

canna & new 'tropical canna' - will the latter survive here?

andi956
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

So...HD had some tropical yellow canna for sale today. I've looked around the web for about an hour now (including the "tropical plants in Tennessee" thread) and it seems that lots of folks do this.

HOWEVER...someone suggested that canna and "tropical canna" are different and the latter might not survive here. I'm not a dig 'em up kind of person but don't want to waste my $$ or time, either.

I see I should have good drainage so will add some rock, I suppose. Or...should I return 'em.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Add a lot of sand, they thrive in it.

• andi956
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I can add sand, sure...

Anything else to do? I'd love to get some more of these but hope the winter (or I) won't kill them.

:-/

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

If you're talking about the variety called 'Tropicanna', it is hardy. I'm not sure what you mean by "tropical canna", though.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

All mine come back. I just cut 'em down after the frost hits and then mulch over them.

• andi956
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dunno...that's what's on the tag...guess i'll just go for it and hope for the best. The good news is that I can actually dig in my soil this year!!

• traciham
    15 years ago

I have the tropicanna and live in Southwest TN. This will be the 3rd season and I never dig them up. I do however have a problem with leaf rollers which is very common with canna lilies. I am treating them right now.

• andi956
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Traciham - Thanks. Of course, now I've had to google
    leaf rollers to see what the heck they are! lol.

Is this *really* common?
    What happens if you just leave them alone? Do they just eat some leaves or do they take over and become an army??

One site said: "If you find the grub inside, flip it onto a surface nearby where a bird can get a snack."

Does that work?

If not, I would look to hand pick & burn OR spray with soap as my "green" methods of control. I admit I'm not very good at killing bugs.

Other preventative non-chemical ideas?

Thanks. Sure hope mine make it through the winter. I used to not like cannas but this yellow one is really happy.

thanks!

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

I haven't had any this year but they totally ruin my canna's when they hit.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Hey --

I was in a Lowes today that had these cannas. It turns out that it's just a variety name. They have 'Tropical White', 'Tropical Pink', 'Tropical Yellow'. I read the tag, and these are just yer basic cannas. Same hardiness as any other cannas. So enjoy!

Oh, but if we get a really hard winter, be prepared to mulch em in good!

• traciham
    15 years ago

Andi, there are different ways to get rid of them, my way may not be well liked but I couldn't take it anymore and it seems to be working. I use liquid seven. I sprayed them, cut mine to the ground and then used some once they started growing back to make sure I got rid of all of them. They are beautiful plants and very easy to grow.

• andi956
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cool. Thanks, everyone. I've planted and will keep an eye out for the bugs. So far, so good.

Sponsored