Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For you experts

Posted by geneo74 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 15:17

I have been growing Summer Poinsetia's for two years now and really love them, no two plants look the same. Tried to get more info on them from this board under Summer Poinsetia(Amaranthus) No find. Do find Amaranthus Tricolor; could they be the same and why doesn't anyone on this forum talk about Summer Poinsetia since they love Tennessee and are so easy to grow as background pretties in late summer when everything else is drying up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For you experts

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 11:53

Amaranthus tricolor is sometimes referred to as Summer Poinsettia, Joseph's Coat, Tampala, Chinese Spinach, Vegetable Amaranth, Fountain Plant, or Een Choy. Too tender to be easily grown here as a perennial. I'm not much into annuals or plants that require lots of effort to overwinter.

o

My so called Summer Poinsetia sure appeared hardy through last winter in mid south TN. But also are easy to save seed, start in Apr and transplant middle of May. Did it all in outside weather and a seed tray.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 16:24

Yep, many annuals and tender/half-hardy perennials (Amaranthus tricolor is a tender perennial) are easy to grow from seed or will easily self-sow. For some garden styles, they are ideal. They're just not what I look for for my garden style.

The A tricolor certainly is colorful and showy! They remind me a lot of Solenostemon (Coleuses).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here