Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buy Aspidistra in Tennessee - Age old question

Posted by candiceplantsstuff Tennessee (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 15:42

I've searched the forums and internet and called several nursery and garden centers looking for Aspidistra. The best I can do is a garden center that will order an 8 inch pot for $25!! I'd like to have a bigger one, but the 10 inch is $40, etc. etc. and that's a little out of my price range.

Does anyone have specific places in Tennessee where they have actually bought Aspidistra or seen them? I live in Nashville, but I travel with my job across the state, so really anywhere will do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buy Aspidistra in Tennessee - Age old question

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 8:29

I doubt you'll find a good selection locally. Have you checked out Plants Delight? They have about 25 different types and at least eight different species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspidistra at Plants Delight

o

I wonder how big a 24 fl oz pot is in inches. That's how Plants Delight describes the size of what you are purchasing.

o

You know they used to be popular house plants -i guess you tried all the big box stores. Seems like I used to see them in the indoor section of lowes & Home Depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Tips

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 13:13

I'm not at home to measure one of the pots, but I think it's about 3" x 3" x 6". Watching them grow is half the fun, and, if they're happy, they'll grow quickly.

o

Check with Stanley's in Knoxville. I'm sure I've seen them there. They have a huge greenhouse with lots of house plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stanley's Greenhouse

o

I saw some a few days ago at John Deere on Hillsboro Road at Mack Hatcher in Franklin.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Deere in Franklin

o

I see Aspidistra on Ebay alot. I remember seeing one auction for 25 plants. I have seen the variegated variety on Ebay too. They usually aren't very expensive. Aspidistra is so slow growing that most people really would like a larger plant.

o

I bought mine at Pond and Plants nursery in Dayton, Tn. I think I gave 6 dollars for a 1 gallon size pot full. They have lots of neat stuff especially if you like dwarf conifers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here