Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plants4chris

Chattanooga area members?

plants4chris
16 years ago

Hi,

I was just wondering who on here is from the Chattanooga area. So many posts refer to the Nashville or Knoxville areas that I didn't think many members were from this neck of the woods. But I did see some posts on the Exchange forum (which I didn't know existed until yesterday) from people around the Chatt area. I'm north of Chatt by about 25 miles, Georgetown/Birchwood area.

Chris

Comments (99)

• yhtak
    16 years ago

Hey y'all,
    I'm just south of Chattanooga, sand mountain to be exact. It's good to hear that there's so many from the area, I expanded and divided my daylily bed in the spring and I didn't know of anybody to give all the extras to. I'm fairly new to flower gardening but fell head-over-heals in love with it. I started my first bed 3 1/2 years ago and read every book I can find about it. Bookcloseouts.com is great for books. I've been reading in the Alabama Gardening section but you all seem closer to where I live. I'd love to participate if you have a swap.

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hi yhtak, my name is Cheryl and we live in Soddy Daisy, just north of Chattanooga. I love daylilies and would be willing to give some of yours a good home. I also love gardnening and watching the flowers grow and bloom. There was talk of a swap this Fall but have not heard anything about one in a few months. Possibly because of the drought and frost last winter. But, welcome to the board and glad to have someone else from around Chattanooga. Cheryl

• tennesseekathy
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! I am over in Etowah about 10 - 15 minutes from Athens. I would be interested in any trades, get togethers, swaps, etc. Kathy

• redsnowflake
    16 years ago

Hi yhtak! I would also love to give your extra daylilies a new home. They are one of my latest obsessions! I was going to email you, but you have no email on here. Boo. I did, however, see from looking at your member page that we share the same birthday! Yay! Happy belated birthday. I just celebrated my 25th.

• ladybug1
    16 years ago

I am here in the 58 area. Pretty much directly across from the Soddy area. I don't have much to swap except I have baby hellebores that I could easily dig up and pot. I would be interested in some white, blue, lavender reblooming iris if anyone had some.

Too bad I didn't see this last spring. I gave away a ton of iris, daylily, and asiatic lilies. I almost had a hard time find a home for it all until a friend of mine bought a newly constructed house in a subdivision and decided what had been planted there needed a new home.

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hi ladybug1, my name is Cheryl. I just saw your post today and would love some of your hellebores - I do not have any red, whitge or purple iris that are re blooming. We are new construction here in Soddy therefore do not have a lot to swap. Why not e-mail me and we can talk about it? I have been looking for lenten rose for at least a year and we have been here for 1 year and 3 months. Hope to hear from you. Just press my page on my post and you will find me e-mail address. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks, Cheryl

• kermit111
    16 years ago

Hi Kathy, I also live in Etowah. I leave the garden plants to my wife Nancy. I'm more into aquatic or water garden plants. I guess I need to start a new topic on that. Gene

• neophytegardener
    16 years ago

I'm in E. Brainerd area. Has a date been set for a swap?

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

IS ANYONE FROM CHATTANOOGA STILL OUT THERE? It has been so long since any of us chatted on the board and I was getting worried. I know that the holidays are coming up but I really missed seeing all the chatting going on. Sorry if I pressed the wrong buttons. Cheryl

• ladybug1
    16 years ago

I'm still here. Maybe all the other gardeners shriveled up with their gardens.

I think I sent you a couple messages about the hellebores, but didn't hear anything back. I can still dig some up and pot them for you if you would like. They are small, but that might be the best way to start them anyway.

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Ladybug, I love the hellebores - thank you and I'm sorry that I did not get back to you before. Just let me know when we should pick up and where you live and we'll take care of that. Just give me some directions and we should be fine. Again, thanks and sorry for not responding before. Cheryl

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Has everyone gone north or south for the holidays? Cannot raise anyone around here. Just want to chat and see what's going on in the gardens. Cheryl

• ladybug1
    16 years ago

Soddy Girl,

Will you e-mail me about the hellebores at farmngarden@gmail.com? Thanks.

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hope all of you had a very Happy Holiday and then some!! We are still up in Maine and have been here since 12/15. Xmas was crowded and noisy with the kids and dogs but still good to see everybody. How are all of you doing? How's the weather down there - it has been mostly snow and very cold. Can't wait for spring and get back in the garden and see things bloom!! Cheryl

• gizzardfarm
    16 years ago

HEY ALL... I live to the west in Marion County, my farm is in the foothills of the Cumberland Plateau...I grow a half acre garden and lots of tomatoes i enjoy frowing all types of flowers also.. drop me a line

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hey Gizzardfarm - I;ll bet your farm is so beautiful near the Cumberland. We live in Soddy Daisy for about 1-1/2 years now. Originally from New York State and then spent 12 years in Florida and got out to come up here and enjoy the good life. Have mostly perennials, some bulbs, day lilies, etc. We sit on a hill in a small subdivision and now with the trees bare of leaves, we can see the mountains of northern GA and eastern TN. We do hope to see more of Tennessee in the near future. Right now we are in Maine visiting our son and his family. We just spent 2 weeks in FL visiting friends for the holiday and then came home to Soddy, changed our suitcases for warmer clothes and headed for Maine. Took just a little over 2 days to cover from TN to Maine. But I do miss my home and hope to start back in about a week and maybe stop off in New York to see my husband's best friend for his birthday as a surprise. Well, that is the most I have ever written on this forum but oh well. Stay warm and happy planting. Cheryl

• gizzardfarm
    16 years ago

Cheryl

good to hear from you..yes i love my farm i am blessed with good soil and secluded farm. Soddy is alot like my area the last time i was up that way it had really grown.. i too love my flowers im a impatien,zinnia and columbine grower love those impatiens around my home(they really love the horse and rabbit manure) nice hearing from you have a safe trip..

gizzard

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hey, is anyone out there? How have your holidays and your gardens been? We were down in Florida for about 2 weeks then came home and left for Maine for 3 weeks. Very glad to be back. Cheryl

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hey everyone - how's everybody doing during this cold snap? Everything is quiet up here on the ridge so far. Cheryl

• javi_mari
    16 years ago

Hello fellow Chattanooga area gardeners,

I am new to this beautiful area, having come from Florida. My plant interests are varied. I love Anthuriums, Orchids, and many other tropicals, as well as roses, especially OGR's.
    I've been reading with great interest about this horrible rose virus called Rose Rosette Disease and have begun learning as much as I can about it. My rose growing problems in Florida included many of the typical ones, along with nematode infested sandy soil. But this one....wow! Totally new to me!
    I live in Chattanooga itself and was wondering if anyone has had a "run in" with RRD.
    Looking forward to some good gardening chats!
    Pepe

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

Any plant swaps planned for the Chatt area this spring? If so please see the "Calling all swaps" post so we can give you guys a link off of our MTPS page!

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hi Pepe and bigorangevol, I have not heard of any swap this spring nor did I hear of one last fall. I waited quite a while but guess maybe there was not enough interest. Count me in if there is one this spring. We live in Soddy Daisy/Bakewell area. Cheryl

• dixiedazzle
    16 years ago

I'm kind of late getting to this thread, but I live in Birchwood.

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hi dixietn - welcome to the board. If you live in Birchwood, they you may know Chris from this board as she also lives in Birchwood. She gave me some beautiful plants last September and can't wait to see how they will bloom. Again, welcome to the board. Cheryl

• plants4chris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everybody! I can't believe it's been so long since I posted here. Time sure flies.

Cheryl how was the great white north? Are you glad to be back out of the cold and snow?

Pepe, an orchid grower!! What kinds do you have? What are your favorites? I've got a mix of stuff but right now my dendrobiums and a miltoniopsis are starting to spike, my phals are budding and my brassavola nodosa has been in bloom for weeks.

Hi dixietn, it was actually your email that made me thinking.... hey I haven't been on gardenweb in about forever! Thanks for the reminder... I'm glad to meet you. What do you grow?

Is everybody drooling over the garden catalogs that have been starting to come in the mail? Do you think we should be looking at draught-tolerant plants only for this year?

It seems like maybe the issue with a swap in our area is that nobody is stepping forward to organize one. I'm just pointing that out, not volunteering! LOL

~Chris

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hi Chris, everything is fine and very glad to be back home and out of the snow! Can't wait 'til Spring and my plants will start to show. I am not volunteering to do a swap either but just wanted my name out there if there is one. Take care, Cheryl

• javi_mari
    16 years ago

Chris,

Unfortunately I had to leave virtually all my collection in Florida. I'm hoping to have the facilities to increase the collection before too long.
    Currently I am growing Dendrobium loddiggesi, BLC 'Donna Kimura', LC 'Golden Tang', Vanda 'Bangkok Blue', an unidentified phalaenopsis that resembles P. violacea, Oncidium 'Sharry Baby', and an Honduran species whose name escapes me at this time but that has grassy looking foliage and small red-brown flowers with a heavy fragrance of coconut mixed with chocolate. All are currently suffering this dry indoor air but are holding on better than I thought they would.
    As for the favorites, the vanda and "Golden Tang".
    Glad to hear from a fellow orchid enthusiast.
    Pepe

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Hey guys --

You orchid growers (and everyone else in the Chatt area) ought to come to the Knoxville/East TN swap. I've got a bunch of phals this winter, and if there's enough interest I can bring some to the swap. :-)

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hi amazindirt - just exactly where will this swap be? We're in Soddy Daisy and have never been to one. Not sure how much I will have to swap but maybe can find something. Thanks, Cheryl

• dixiedazzle
    16 years ago

Chris,
    My garden was neglected/overgrown for 2 years while I was away, but I DID have lots of peonies, iris, daylilies, asiatic lilies, David Austin roses, clematis & assorted perennials & veggies. I can tell that I have a few iris left, 2 scraggly roses that may survive & my peonies are still there. I had a couple of 4 o'clocks & they had self-seeded & just about took over the place. The deer are terrible over here - I had 6 Austin roses along the driveway that have totally disappeared. But, I'll have fun seeing what's left after I get things uncovered & cleaned up. It probably won't be as bad as it seems once Spring is here. I am looking forward to the knoxville swap.

• ladybug1
    16 years ago

Gosh, Dixie, it is a wonder you have any plants left. The deer where I live are terrible and there are a lot of subdivisions in my area. You have a lot more open space so it should really be bad.

• katiedidcottage
    16 years ago

I have been a member for quite a while, but haven't had the time to get on Garden Web. For one thing, we sold our beautiful house with all the hard gardening work we had done, and only had dial-up available where we lived temporarily, but now we are moving to Chattanooga on the northeast side of the city into an apartment. I've had really good luck and success with the raised bed gardens, but now any beds I have will be mostly in the shade, so I would appreciate any helpful hints for shade-loving veggies. I may end up only getting to grow flowers. I'd love to hear from any of you.

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

My daffodils and some of my lilies are coming up!!! It's great to see some signs of life after the cold of January. Everyone take care. Cheryl

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

It's only 135 miles from Chatt to Chapel Hill so there's only about a 20 minute difference between the Knoxville swap and the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap for ya'll. Hamilton County folks are lucky because you guys are just about equal distance between the two. Ya'll can hit the KPS on the 3rd and then come to the MTPS on the 17th!

• cindykay
    16 years ago

Hi, I am Cindy and I live about 20 minutes south of Chattanooga in Dalton. I love planting and growing all kinds of flowers and would love to learn anything that I can. I haven't heard of many around this area that are interested in flowers with the exception of a few ladies I work with but maybe I just haven't been in the right places. I found this web site and decided to join in. I look forward to new friends and new info.

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Welcom to the Forum, Cindy!! There's a lot of info on this website and we all have fun talking back and forth. Again, welcom to the Forum. Cheryl

• katiedidcottage
    16 years ago

Yes, welcome Cindy! I am new to this area, though I lived in nearby Calhoun (south of Dalton) many years ago. There are some knowledgeable people on this forum and I've learned a lot and had a lot of success. I really enjoyed the spring plant swap when we went there and hope to make it to some more. - Katie from Chattanooga

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Happy Easter Everyone!!
    Question - my camelia planted 1-1/2 years ago has lots of new green leaves but has not bloomed. Should it have bloomed by now? I now we have clay soil but ??????

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Hi everyone:
    It's so good to be back in Soddy - we were in FL for almost a week but it's good to see my daylilies coming up, our pear tree blooming, everything is coming up!! What a welcome home. Ain't TN grand???!!! Chberyl

• soddygirl06
    16 years ago

Got a question for you guys:
    Last year we planted a pineapple sage and it did great. It has all dried up and shows no signs of coming up again. Is this normal? Any replies greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cheryl

• bzbfnp
    15 years ago

Hey guys! I live in Chattanooga/Hixson, but have a Red Bank zip. Go figure! New to gardening and to the forum. So I may a lot of questions for you!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Hey bzbfnp,
    Welcome to the forum. Come to the ET Spring Plant Swap this weekend in Knoxville and meet your neighbors to the north (and maybe a few from your area too). I think you will find it well worth the drive.

• neophytegardener
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm in Chattanooga. Since there appears to be quite a nice size group here and a reasonable interest in a swap, it only makes sense to at least explore the issue a little further. While I'm not in a place to single-handedly organize one, I'll just field a question: If a swap was held in this area, what place(s) do you think would be ideal? (i.e. open space, free of charge, able to be reserved in advance, available bathrooms, etc. . .)

• soddygirl06
    15 years ago

Welcome neophytegardener to the Forum. Right now do not know anything about a plant swap for the 'nooga area. However, I do have a question for anyone: has anyone heard of or does anyone have a tradescantia also known as
    "warthog" I believe? Does anyone have any and are they a problem? Just discovered one in my garden that I thought was a lily. Thanks, Cheryl

• neophytegardener
    15 years ago

Thanks, Soddygirl. I don't know anything about your tradescantia.

I'm interested in us Chattanoogans having a swap sometime in the future. My question is very straightforward: If you had the choice for a swap location, what location would that be? Chickamauga battlefield? River Park? Booker T. Washington? Harrison Bay? Any other possibilities?

If there is any real interest, I think it could be done fairly simply. It makes sense to first get an idea of potential candidates for location.

Is anyone interested? If so, what location(s) would be suggested?

• soddygirl06
    15 years ago

Hi neophytegardener, I would probably be most interested in the Chichamauga battalfield area as I have never been there and it's suposed to be so beautiful. But am open to pretty much anything that everyone else agrees to. Let me know and I'll try to help anyway that I can.

Cheryl

• plants4chris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Neophyte. I'm the one who started this string. If you read down through you'll see there was some interest in a swap but not enough to really generate the enthusiasm to get one going. I think, as suggested above, for anyone who doesn't mind the drive, going to the Knoxville or Nashville swaps would work out best, at least at this point. Just my opinion. If there was one near me I would possibly attend. As Brandon7 suggested, those of us who don't want to make the drive, could do individual swaps on the exchanges page. I am going to dig up some Immortality Bearded Iris (large almost-white repeat bloomer) as soon as I get to it and I am more than willing to part with some. I don't get on the forum much but I will try to get that on the exchanges page or anybody can email me directly.

Cheryl, never heard of a tradescantia called warthog. Do you have a pic? You might have gotten tradescantia from me. I have quite a lot of it. Do you have a pic or has it flowered? Tradescantia is very vigorous but I wouldn't call any I've had invasive. I would leave it for a while and see what it turns into. You could start a new string with - "warthog" tradescantia - as the title and see if anybody knows who would not necessarily have clicked on this string.

Chris

• soddygirl06
    15 years ago

Chris - cannot believe how the gaura is doing. It is absolutely full of blooims and it more than quadrupled it's size. The apricot sparkle lilies, the see-through verbena and the blue/black salvia is also doing great. Thanks again for all of your help. Now if I can just figure out how to split my african violet so I can make another plant, I'll be in business. I have read up on it but just afraid to cut as I don't want to lose the plant. But will try soon. Sure do wish we had a plant swap around here but it's so much trouble to organize but would be wiling to help if someone steps up to the plate. Cheryl

• neophytegardener
    15 years ago

Plants4chris,

Don't throw the daylillies or asiatic lillies into the woods--I'll take them!!! The 'Immortality' iris sounds gorgeous.

Brandon's a great guy and always has very good ideas. :-)I've gone to the swaps in Knoxville, and they are good experiences. The exchange pages are new to me, so will have to make time to check them out.

If there was enough interest among the many gardening folks of our city, we could trade here also. We wouldn't have to drive for about 3 hours total travel time and use gas (ummm, I can't remember the last time the price was below $3.50/gal.) and personally, it would be nice to have more time to get to know fellow gardeners.

It sounds like presently there would possibly be only two or three people interested. Maybe if this changes, the issue can be revisited.

Thanks to you and soddygirl for your replies. Happy gardening!

• princess102173
    15 years ago

Yes my name is Beth and I am fixing to start my first flower bed.I want things that easy to grow and come back every year, I live in harrison,tn.anyone got any suggestions? thank you beth you can email me at bailey46@bellsouth.net

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH