Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
utdeedee

How's your garden doing?

utdeedee
16 years ago

I joined this almost a month ago and just had the time to find the TN Gardening forum. I look forward to reading all the entries. My garden is doing great here in Knoxville. Of course it's been dry and I've had to water but all is doing good. I will have tomatoes in about two weeks, squash in a week and maybe a pepper or two in a couple of weeks. My Okra got a little upset with the 40's we had the first of may. This is my first year growing egg plant. Do any of you have luck with it?

I look forward to reading how your gardens are doing. :)

Comments (6)

• sunflower_fun
    16 years ago

I live in Johnson City and my gardens doing great. Right now I have oodles of Sugar snap peas. Its my first year growing them but they did great and they're really really tastey. I grew them in a raised bed. They were actually about 2 inches high when we got had a really late frost and even a little snow. I just covered them up with a sheet and they made it through fine.

• ronnywil
    16 years ago

Here in Collierville, my heirloom tomatoes are head high and bush hybrids are shoulder high. All are covered with blooms and tomatoes some as large as pool balls. Have already picked half a dozen squash and looks like I'll have another half dozen to pick Friday. Picked my first pod of okra Sunday and several pods of pepper and the 20 plus plants have several pods just about ready. The Fortex pole beans are moving right along and blooming after a slow start and problems with rust. The garlic has started to turn brown so it won't be long before I can pull it. The onions are starting to fall over so they will be ready before too long.
    The pumpkin vines are about 6 foot and blooming and the watermelons and cantalope are trying to catch up. The painted corn, indian corn, is knee high and so is the sorghum. The birdhouse gourds have several little gourds on the vine and they have grown up the cattle panel trellis nicely.

As for the flowers, the calla lilies are blooming, the Dragon Wing begonias, petunias, impatiens, lantana and marigolds are all full of blooms and I'm exhausted from watering everything.

• utdeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds like it's going to be a bumper crop for all of here. Just need some rain. We've gotten 3 little showers in the past few days, but I was still out at 6:00 am watering before work....Calla lilies are beautiful but I have not had luck with them. May try again.

• tennegreen
    16 years ago

Nashville South checking in...

I have some nice tomatoes in the ground. 19 plants, and a few other salad veggies.

On the Golden Jubilee and German Queen plants (I have 1 each) there are over 50 tomatoes. There are another 30 spread throughout the other various heirlooms. Nothing near ripe, but the two big plants have some tomatoes a big as my fist.

Don't you hate how slow they grow when you look at them twice a day, everyday???

• utdeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lol; I do the same thing, before and after work. We sure need some rain....

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

0.62 inches of rain in May; 0.48 inch in June (largest rainfall was 0.18")
    But thanks for asking.
    I do have a friend who would welcome any clues as to how to grow eggplants with leaves without pesticides.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals