Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veronica Spicata ?

Posted by columbiastock 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 17:29

Recently purchased this perennial and searched it out. Just wondering if anyone else is growing it and any comments they might have? It is the Red Fox, common name Spike Speedwell. Everthing I have read says-Full Sun-Partial Shade, which to me means Partial Shade. There are various Veronicas available so if you have one, any knowledge is appreciated. Wanda

Velsgarden, Know you love daylilies, have you been on the site-"Daylily Haven & Iris Gardens" ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veronica Spicata ?

I had Red Fox at the other house, and I think it was my very favorite perennial in the garden. :) I just loved those pink spikes! I looked forward to the blooms every year.

One thing about it, though, was that it wasn't terribly long-lived. Mine would start to lose vigor in about the 3rd year, and if you didn't divide them they'd disappear. Sometimes even when I did divide them, they'd disappear anyway. But as soon as they did I'd just go buy another...totally worth it!

They don't bloom all summer, or didn't for me. Just a month or so in early summer. I believe this was one I would cut back after the first bloom and sometimes they'd go again. I had mine in full sun, but I think it would do fine in partial too.

Enjoy! They are so pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here