Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

Growth of Leyland, Green Giant and Cryptomeria in one year

conniemcghee
14 years ago

I thought someone might find this interesting:

We planted a row of evergreens along our fence line last year. About this same time last year, I took pictures of the whole line and pieced them together. The first picture, left to right: Leyland, Leyland, Green Giant, Green Giant, Cryptomeria. We bought varying sizes, picking them up here and there. It has been really interesting to see how they grew - and I did learn that if you plant a small tree, it will catch right up to the larger ones in no time!

Second year, left to right (we made a couple of changes in the lineup early this spring): Emerald Green, Emerald Green, Leyland, Green Giant, Green Giant and Cryptomeria.

Notice especially how quickly the small Leyland caught the Green Giants. We have a row of Leylands in the backyard too, and even the smallest one has caught up to the largest one we planted.

GROW, TREES, GROW!!!

Comments (8)

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bumping this down.

• katiedidcottage
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing. This was very helpful to me.

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

Is that Leyland cypress? Curious cause i planted a small 1 ft tall one. Growth rate is supposed to be fast but.....

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the same Leyland is second from left in the first picture, third from left in the bottom picture. I'd say it has grown three feet in a year.

I wish now I had given it a little more room. I went by the UT Extension Office recommendations for a screen planting (5'-7'). I guess it will be OK, but I think 10' might have given it a little more elbow room. Oh well! Everywhere I looked reported a different mature width for these. I just sort of tried to split the difference...

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Here's a picture of a mature Leyland. It's just over 120' tall and the trunk is over a yard in diameter.

{{gwi:239803}}

{{gwi:239804}}

• katiedidcottage
    14 years ago

Wowsers! Brandon, I never knew they got that big! Is that one on your property?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Nope, it's a free-use picture from the Wikimedia Commons. I think that one is actually somewhere over in Europe, if I remember correctly.

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! I knew Brandon would post that photo!

Sponsored