Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growth of Leyland, Green Giant and Cryptomeria in one year

Posted by connietn (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 7, 09 at 18:19

I thought someone might find this interesting:

We planted a row of evergreens along our fence line last year. About this same time last year, I took pictures of the whole line and pieced them together. The first picture, left to right: Leyland, Leyland, Green Giant, Green Giant, Cryptomeria. We bought varying sizes, picking them up here and there. It has been really interesting to see how they grew - and I did learn that if you plant a small tree, it will catch right up to the larger ones in no time!

Second year, left to right (we made a couple of changes in the lineup early this spring): Emerald Green, Emerald Green, Leyland, Green Giant, Green Giant and Cryptomeria.

Notice especially how quickly the small Leyland caught the Green Giants. We have a row of Leylands in the backyard too, and even the smallest one has caught up to the largest one we planted.

GROW, TREES, GROW!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growth of Leyland, Green Giant and Cryptomeria in one year

Bumping this down.

o

Thanks for sharing. This was very helpful to me.

o

Is that Leyland cypress? Curious cause i planted a small 1 ft tall one. Growth rate is supposed to be fast but.....

o

Yes, the same Leyland is second from left in the first picture, third from left in the bottom picture. I'd say it has grown three feet in a year.

I wish now I had given it a little more room. I went by the UT Extension Office recommendations for a screen planting (5'-7'). I guess it will be OK, but I think 10' might have given it a little more elbow room. Oh well! Everywhere I looked reported a different mature width for these. I just sort of tried to split the difference...

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 13:52

Here's a picture of a mature Leyland. It's just over 120' tall and the trunk is over a yard in diameter.

o

Wowsers! Brandon, I never knew they got that big! Is that one on your property?

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 16:09

Nope, it's a free-use picture from the Wikimedia Commons. I think that one is actually somewhere over in Europe, if I remember correctly.

o

Ha! I knew Brandon would post that photo!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here