Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whispering_raven

OIY! Help me please! :) Erosion Control + Noise Barrier Plantings

whispering_raven
14 years ago

(Sigh)...This is going to be a little bit of a rant, so please forgive me! :)

My husband and I have been working so hard to get our farm certified organic, rebuilding wildlife habitat, and all sorts of other stuff....and we now we have some new neighbors that I think may be problematic to our goals.

They purchased a house with 5 or 7 acre or so of property that adjoins our farm. We didn't know this was for sale or we may have tried to buy it ourselves. Anyway...I met them yesterday morning. OIY! The dogs were going nuts and the goats were agitated, and we heard the chain saws and other equipment. Not uncommon around these parts, but when I was on my way out to tend to some seedlings I saw some folks working around our fence row. They were cutting down trees and weed-eating and such. I introduced myself and right away "felt" the tension. They are building a dune buggy track for their kids. RIGHT ON THE PROPERTY LINE at our fence. I'm all for private landowner rights and all, but I'd appreciate a little consideration. You just move into the area (from Kansas City, mind you) and start something like this??? Sheesh!

Anyway...Now my husband and I are concerned. The property that borders us is mostly woodlands and a hollar that was recently logged (heavily & poorly)and now they are cutting more trees for a personal race track. Because this is on the border of our farm, we are worried about the added dust and erosion this track is going to create. Obviously we are now going to have create some sort of buffer zone from the possible exhaust fumes. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can plant? Something beneficial for wildlife of course, but also something that has a strong enough root system to help prevent potential erosion that will not become too invasive to our other gardens/planned gardens in the proximity? We have LOTS of wild blackberries (with very big thorns...heheheh) that we are considering transplanting to the area, but I'm concerned with that considering their invasiveness. We are looking at approximately 300ft that has to be planted immediately (or in the very near future).

Needless to say...I'm a bit bummed out and deflated. Thanks for listening to my little rant. I look forward to your suggestions.

Many Blessings! - Tracy

Comments (14)

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Tracy, That sucks! I would go with the thorny berries and mow down any that travels where you don't want them. Thorns are cool because you don't want them driving into your gardening area. I like to be left alone in the yard too but can't afford forty acres. I will not go into my lovely neighbor horror stories but can relate. Plant thorns to keep out intruders, learn to look the other way, and buy an ipod. Good luck.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I agree with thorns. I just lined our back fence with 17 knockout roses. :)

Whatever it is, it will have to be resistant to pollution I suppose. :( Depending on how your sun moves over your property and whether you think the berries would get enough light, maybe you could back the bushes with some type of fast-growing evergreen tree that will form a screen. Green Giant Arborvitae is working well for me. So is Leyland Cypress (which everyone loves to hate but I don't care as long as it grows fast). I also have Yoshino Cryptomeria, and they are absolutely drop-dead gorgeous but too expensive to do in a huge row.

I will give you some advice about planting evergreen trees: I picked mine up here and there, and they were all different sizes ranging from 2' up to almost 6'. This year, after only one year, the small ones have caught up to the large ones. It really is true what they say about planting small trees - they establish more quickly and usually catch right up to the big ones.

Geesh, I can't believe the first thing they do is build a racetrack...?!?! How bizarre!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

I don't think the race track is unusual at all and I'm not the slightest bit surprised they would put it close to the property line. The closer they have it to the line, the more room they have for whatever else they want to do with their property. I assume it's just for their enjoyment and not something for public use. If it does become a public thing, that would change everything greatly.

I do see your concern about erosion, dust, and noise. Besides planting thorny things and/or maybe putting up some time of solid fence in the area, the best thing you can do is rely on laws to protect you from the worst possibilities. If erosion, excessive dust, or excessive noise become a problem (after you talk to the neighbors, of course, and try to work things out that way), the law provides protection for you and your property. If you strongly suspect that you are going to have problems with any of these issues, go ahead and contact your local government and find out what the laws are for your area, who you need to contact with a complaint, and what type of records you may need to keep to back up your concern. Be prepared before you need to take action!

Basically, it boils down to this...it's a "free" country and people are allowed to do what they want with their own property as long as it isn't illegal. Once they cross that line, it's up to you to take action to eliminate the problem. Many neighbors are clueless, selfish, and nasty. Unfortunately, most people have at least one neighbor that meets at least one of those categories.

• whispering_raven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your replies!! :) I really hope my initial reaction to this is over the top, ya know? I was just so bummed out by his attitude. We're not used to that around here. This is a small town, not so unlike Mayberry in many ways. We've had so much support and encouragement not only from our neighbors but our community getting this farm up, and to have these folks come in like that just took be aback a little. Shoot! We've lived in the area for many years, but just bought this farm in October. Even before we bought this place we talked to all the neighbors about our plans.

The good thing about a small town is you really do know everybody. It can be a blessing or a curse. Depends "who" you know. ;) One of the guys at Codes recommended the Leyland Cypress. I'll look at those. My husband said if worst comes to worse he's gonna transplant saw vines! OUCH!

The field/fence row we are most concerned with at this time gets full sun. It runs E/W. The line gets shade from our far western tree line after the sun starts to set, so it's pretty solid sun for at least 10 hours. Initially we were going to plant Elderberries and Gooseberries along that row, but with the risk of contamination we'll have to use something ornamental instead.

I don't want to be a problem and I don't think he plans to make this a "commercial enterprise" or anything. I do believe it's just for the kids. And I'm fine with that, I just wish it would have been set back from the fence more. I respect their rights, but I would expect the same in the return.

Thanks for everything folks! I really appreciate it!

Tracy

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

I would plant kudzu on their property.

• whispering_raven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

heheheh...Kudzu is a nice thought, but unfortunately that plant does more harm than good to the ecosystem. I don't think I want that kind of Karma. :)

I spoke with the State Nursery this morning and they are recommending a combination of Ninebark and Indigobush. Both are beneficial to wildlife and the Indigobush is attractive. They said the Ninebark has a deep rooting system that is not invasive and will help control possible erosion, but of course we won't be able to plant until the winter. They also suggested that we have our local forestry agent come out and survey the areas of concern and they can assist us with a plan. I think that's a great idea!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

"One of the guys at Codes recommended the Leyland Cypress. I'll look at those."

Leyland Cypress is probably not a good choice. There are many better options even if you just go with 'Grean Giant(s)'. Whatever you choose, check it out before planting. Check TN-EPPC to be sure what your choice is not environmentally harmful. Google the plant to check for pest and disease problems (becoming significant in some areas with Leylands).

I would suggest planting a variety of things and planting in a way so that, if one thing dies, it doesn't throw off your whole landscape. A row of similar trees looks aweful when one dies (like a missing tooth). A more natural planting is better for the environment, less likely to have pest and disease problems, and more visually appealing.

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

My first concern would be the noise issue. There are municipal statutes regarding the db levels that are unacceptable. While it is their property to do with as they wish, it does not preclude infringements upon your rights. You obviously bought this tract for privacy and solitude but now that is being affected adversely by a neighbor that couldn't care less about what they are going to put you through.

I would approach them with your issues FIRST to see how they receptive they are to your concerns. If that doesn't work, get a copy of your local noise ordinance. Send a copy to the neighbor with a note repeating your request to keep the noise down and explaining that you'll be forced to notify the authorities if you don't get results. Be sure to provide details on the problem, including the dates and times of the noise.

Almost every community prohibits excessive, unnecessary, and unreasonable noise, and police enforce these laws. To find your municipality's noise rules, look up the local ordinances. Check out: www.statelocalgov.net and www.municode.com. Ordinances designate certain "quiet hours".

Many towns also prohibit sustained noise that exceeds a certain decibel level. The decibel limits are set according to the time of day and the neighborhood zoning. When a neighbor complains, police place decibel level monitoring equipment on an estimated property line and take a reading.

You can go through small claims court to receive actual and punitive damages. You will have to show that there is excessive and disturbing noise, that the person you are suing is either creating the noise or is the landlord and therefore responsible, the enjoyment of your home is affected and that you have asked the person to stop the noise. To prove your case, use police reports, witnesses, your own testimony, or even a recording. The thing is that they won't be ordered to stop, only fined. To make them cease you will need to go to regular civil court ((I think.)

You do realize that those kids are going to be running the go-carts at full throttle from daylight to dark all Summer long! The dust will cover everything outside and inside your home too. Nothing that you plant or erect is going to stop the noise or the dust so I wouldn't go to ANY personal expense because it'll just be a waste of your time and money.

Being an evil instigator I did think of a few other things to do...You could always buy a few hogs and put their pen next to the fence. See which is worse, the smell they have to endure from your swine or the noise you have to deal with from their racetrack. You could hang a dozen fish in the sun to dry each week too. Don't you need a port-a-john along that fence so you don't have to run inside? Tell them that you're seriously considering selling a parcel of your property (adjoining theirs) for a municipal solid waste facility or a rendering plant. Chickens, guineas, geese & ducks are nice! :-)

Thoughtless and...

• whispering_raven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's funny you bring up the hogs...He asked us if we had any hogs on the farm and made his "disgust" known. Hmmmmm......heheheh.

I am worried about the dust and the noise. His property adjoins part of our eastern side, whereas on our west we only have a large cattle farm, 75 acres I think. The back side of the east line and the north side is also another large farm, 300 acres or so. He's the only small landowner here. But his house sits at the front his property which is 5 or 7 acres away from us. I don't think anything "smelly" would affect him.

We'll just have to see how things go, but I have that deep gut feeling, it's not going to be easy. :(

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

The smell might not have to make it all the way to the house. I bet the kids would be grossed out with the smell of fish baking in the sun.

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

This area sounds rural to me. Good luck with the noise ordinance thing. Where I am you can rock out till 10 pm. I actually put a fifteen foot long, five foot high pile of chicken #### on my property line, air pipes and all. I also considered beagle kennels and roosters. I thought I would give my perv neighbor something to stare at. It all backfires. Once people like that think they are getting under your skin, they really enjoy themselves doing so. It was literally like spy vs. spy around here for a few years. I finally came to the conclusion that it is best to ignore them as best as possible. They have bred and moved thier spawn plus grandchildren in with them. They still do and let the little ones do stupid stuff from time to time but if I show any annoyance at all it only fuels the fire. This neighbor also cut down my azalea shrub I had just planted as I watched. Why bother trying to prove it because without video how could you? He had hoped my husband would sock him one so he could sue. My advice smile and wave. They have no intention of selling their off road goodies. If you let them know it bothers you they will do anything they can think of to annoy you.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Jeff....LOL!!! I like the way you think! :D

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

If you want to reach out and touch something from up to 1,830 meters (roughly 2,000 yards) while being very inconspicuous then try the Barrett 82A1 .50 cal, a Barrett .416 round, a BORS with Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x50mm - 66000-7WS scope and a 50 BMG Reflex Suppressor.

You will scare the pants off of anyone or anything within a mile radius and they'll all go running for cover or the nearest bathroom to change their shorts! They won't have any idea where you are but then they won't stick around long enough to look either.

It'll total an engine block or an armored vehicle so go-cart motors shouldn't be a problem.

And Ronnie Barrett has been making them in Murfreesboro since 1982! BUY TENNESSEE!!!

It'll cost ya about $13,500 to outfit before tax so if it's worth 15K to ya to squelch this racetrack thing and have a little fun too.......

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Jeff, are you a Hatfield or a McCoy?

Sponsored