Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kid friendly evergreen vine to cover privacy fence

Posted by paw672 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 07 at 19:08

I have read various posts about vines to cover privacy fences. I am specifically looking for a kid friendly vine, (one that does not attract a lot of stinging bugs ;-) one which is evergreen and one that will thrive in Mid-TN. I want to install a 8'fence in the back of our home so I would like something that will cover appropriately. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kid friendly evergreen vine to cover privacy fence

I would teach the kids not to be so afraid of the bees. Unless they go around swatting at them, the bees usually won't bother them and they are going to be around bees for the rest of their life (hopefully). A yard without blooms/bees wouldn't be my goal.

But, if pretty flower -less vines is the goal, you might could use English Ivy. I've not noticed a lot of bees around English Ivy before (of course there is the snake and spider issue).

o

Akieba (sp?) It will bloom in early spring and smells great which attracts bugs for that time but that time doesn't last long. The rest of the year it's just a great looking - not harmful to what it climbs on vine.

o

Akebia does attract bees. Maybe(?) it's less attractive than some plants, but bees will still visit chocolate vine flowers. Also, Akebia (like the English Ivy I mentioned above) can be invasive. It is listed on quite a few invasive plant lists.

o

You know, any vine that has flowers will have bees and bugs. Heck, the white clover blooms that come with our yard (no matter how much we fight it) attract more bees than anything else. I used to be terrified of bugs when I started gardening. You know, work a second, scream and skreech a minute. I've gotten over it somewhat. I even like seeing snakes in the gardens I just don't touch them. Oh, my akebia only blooms for about 2 weeks in the spring yellow blooms that smell like honeysuckle. It been there for about 8 to 10 years and I've never had to control it from spreading and I've never seen new ones sprouting in my woods. Maybe because it's a cultivar of the chocolate vine and not the original species plant.
Come to think of it, it was having kids that got me over my bug-Itis. We have bug id books and critter id books and the kids have become quite good at researching and id-ing lots of things. Maybe that would be a better option than trying to garden without bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here