Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a new gardener has a couple questions

Posted by new-gardener123 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 19:56

I bought a house in Nashville and have my first garden. I have several plants that are getting eaten, mainly sunflowers (seeds and seedlings) and moss roses (not sure the real name of those- my mom calls them moss roses). I think some of the cucumber blooms are disappearing as well. I have seen a lot of chipmunks around my yard... could they be eating the things? Is there is humane way to keep them from eating things?

Some of my green bean leaves have tan colored spots. Is this a fungus and what should I do?

I'm so glad I found this forum! I am having so much fun with my garden and flower beds and am looking foward to learning more about how to care for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a new gardener has a couple questions

I had lots of chipmunks at a prior home and all they ever did was dig up my planters and plant their nuts in there and disrupt my bedding plants. Whatever is eating them you might sprinkle cayenne pepper around and on them. I've heard that works.

o

What part of Nashville are you in? And what kind of damage are we talking about here? Little nibbles? Holes? Wholesale destruction?

How often are you watering? The cucumber blooms may be dropping off due to lack of water, but if they are being eaten off I'd suspect rabbits and/or deer. (Hence the location question.) Do you have any fencing around the garden? Noticed any deer tracks? Do you have any idea what time the damage is occuring? (Day/night)

o

I live in Crieve Hall- no deer, but definitely rabbits. The moss roses were eaten to the ground- one has regrown and is so far okay. The sunflowers were totally gone with small holes in the ground where they were. Today a lily bulb was eaten. I think it is happening at night, but I couldn's say for sure. I think the garden blooms are okay for now. Some of the leaves of things are eaten a little bit. I put some cayenne pepper around, but it was after that that the lily bulb was eaten.

o

Hi: The brown spots on your bean leaves may be caused by watering in the heat of the day. I noticed that if I watered after 10:00 a.m., my veggies would have leaf burn due to sun boiling the water on the plants. Also, fertilizers can sometimes cause this. Good luck with your garden--watch out for voles--those nasty little creatures do eat bulbs and gnaw on roots of larger plants. Hopefully this is not your problem.

o

It's Chip & Dale!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here