Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterers for outside plants

Posted by ccmarks Nashville, TN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 20:04

So, I need to find something easy (and cheap preferably!) to water my outdoor plants when I'm out of town. Just the ones in pots. I'm scared of anything on timers from the faucet in case there's a problem I don't want the water running not stop. They have those "globes" at Home Depot, but seems like they'd get expensive and I'm looking at about a dozen planters. Any easy ideas of something I can make myself or buy cheap?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterers for outside plants

Maybe Aquaspikes? you fill a 1 liter or 2 liter soda bottle with water and screw the spike to the end and stick it in the pot. It drips the water down as needed.
See website below for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquaspikes

o

My mom has a lot of things in pots. She has mentioned putting her pots in a shallow tray with some water to get them through a few days of being gone. I have also heard of people employing kiddie pools in this same manner.

I like the soda bottle idea too! :)

o

How about a bucket of water with ropes stuck in the water on one end and the other in the soil. Try an experiment before you have to leave to see just how many rope "wicks" you would need per pot. Rhonda

o

Soak the plants, then fill some soda bottles and use a hot nail to poke holes in the screw on top. Sink the bottle into the soil. It will release the water as needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here