Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Tennessee Gardenwebber Orchards

brandon7 TN_zone7
13 years ago

I've seen a few small orchards while driving around Knoxville and I know of people who are not Gardenwebbers that have orchards, but I wonder if there are members of this forum that have fruit orchards (at least four or five trees). If so, what types of fruit trees/bushes do you have? Any chance of pictures?

Comments (9)

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

Hi Brandon, I would love love love to put in conchord grape vines! My family grew them when I was a kid and my mom made awesome grape juice. At this point I have two apple trees, one a Snappy Mac, and the other is an Arkansas Black. I have three peach trees. One I know is Hales Red Haven. Another variety is later bearing though I can't recall the name. The third one came from Jeff at the plant swap so I have no clue what it is. I have to say I highly recommend the Hales Red Haven for flavor! I also have a couple cherry trees which are tart but make the best jelly. I am hoping to get a start of another cherry from a friend of mine. The variety is unknown but a great eating cherry. I also have a few raspberrys as well as thornless blackberry brambles. Far from a mini orchard even but I had to chime in. What fruit are you growing?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd call that an orchard. It's at least a good start on one!

So far, I have:

4 apples (Freedom, Liberty, Arkansas Black, and Virginia Beauty all on EMLA111 semi-dwarfing rootstock)

4 pears (Magness, Moonglow, Potomac, and Seckel on OHF87, betulifolia, and OHF333 rootstock)

3 sweet cherries (Black Gold, Black York, and Regina on Mahaleb and Mazzard rootstock)

3 sour cherries (Montmorency, Northstar, and Surefire on Mahaleb and Mazzard rootstock)

5 figs (Brown Turkey, Celeste, Sal's #1, 143-30, and Texas Everbearing)

7 blueberries (Tifblue, Climax, Premier, Bluecrop, Powderblue, Blue Ray, and O'Neal)

2 grapes

multiple seedlings of three Peterson cultivar pawpaws. (and other pawpaws at a different property).

13 pomegranates (Wonderful is in the orchard, and I have three cuttings each of a dozen reportedly hardy cultivars that I'll plant out a little later).

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Speaking of hardy pomegranate cuttings, if anyone in the Knoxville area has the room to plant out about a dozen pom bushes and wants to grow them, I would consider donating one rooted cutting each of the dozen varieties I have. I'm growing them for my own variety trial and would like them to go to someone who is also interested in seeing how they'll do in this area. I don't want to ship them, because of the prep time and effort and the fact that it's probably too hot to ship them easily. I don't know if anyone is interested, but I thought I'd see.

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

Hardy? As in plant them outside forever? Wow! I did not realize such a pom existed. You are way above my head with your fruit knowledge, Brandon. There is much I can learn from you. I just added a semi dwarf Moonglow pear and a Patterson apricot to my budding collection. I know it is a bit late in Spring to plant fruit trees but they were potted and for six bucks it fit the budget! From what little bit I have read apricots are risky here but I am willing to throw the dice.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, quite a few poms will grow here outside all year. The catch is that most won't ever fruit here. But, a few will, and there are also many that might. The thing is that not much data is available about how many of them will do here. The 12 varieties that I am growing from cuttings have been reported to do well and produce fruit in similar climates to ours, or, have special qualities and have a decent chance of producing here. So, I'm going to try them for myself and see what happens. I'll at least have some cool bushes, and maybe I'll get some good fruit.

• ladybug37091
    13 years ago

Thats awesome, Brandon. Please keep me posted as they progress.

• babydoe
    13 years ago

I need some help on my two peach trees. I need to know exactly when to spray for insects. Each tree has worms in ALL the peaches. I was following instructions on fruit tree spray and still have those dang worms.

• strudeldog_gw
    13 years ago

Brandon,
    IÂm not in Tennessee, but about just over the Border in Georgia, about 20 Minutes south. I am trying many types of fruits and nuts focusing on mostly lower care plants. The cultivars are pretty much up to date on my member page. Most of my plantings are fairly young and many are not producing yet. So far I have about 12 apples, 10 pears, 20 Kaki persimmon, 6 Pawpaw, 4 Jujube, 25 fig, 50 Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Pomegranates, Bunch Grapes, Muscadines, Kiwi, Mulberry, Cherry, Pecan, Heartnut, Chestnut, Butternut, Carpathian Walnut, Black Walnut, and probably I few things I am forgetting presently.
    I am curious about which Pomegranate cultivars you are trialing. I am assuming you obtained the cuttings from UC Davis as I am rooting some cuttings from them as well and would be interested in which cultivars you are thinking might be hardy enough for your location. I requested cuttings of Kazke, Entek Habi Savehi, and Salavatski, and I received Kazke, and Entek Habi Savehi but not Salavatski, but I was able to obtain it from a NAFEX member in Texas. Those are the cultivars I have read about being the cold hardy, and assume you have probably read the same info, mostly on the Fruits forum here and on the PomWorldwide Yahoo group. I would be very interested in what other cultivars you think you might be successful with.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Babydoe,

You might try the Fruit and Orchards Forum (especially if you have pics you could post to shed some light on what you're working with) or your local ag extension office. Sorry, but I don't think I know enough about peaches to be of all that much use.

Strudeldog,

Wow, what a collection! Here is a list of the cultivars I am growing. I don't have my notes, on why I picked each, handy, but I'd bet they all have a decent chance of doing well in your warmer area (especially if you can find a little bit of a warmer microclimate). I'm growing mine on top of a small hill where they get totally full sun. If I had a brick wall with appropriate exposure, I'd try that.

Al-sirin-nar
    Salavatski
    Kaj-acik-anor
    Apseronski krasnyj
    Nikitski ranni
    Bala Miursal
    Afganski
    Kazake
    Surh-anor
    Dorosht 5 hahanshahi Khoramabad
    Entek habi saveh
    Agat