Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Hibiscus be planted in the ground and survive the winter?

Posted by MtDreamer z6 TN (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 21:52

TN clay and TN winters are new to us. Last year I bought a sad looking Hibiscus at Lowes toward the end of the season. This year it is HUGE!! It either needs a much larger pot or planted in the ground. I prefer the latter if the winters won't kill it off. We are anxious for it to bloomso are the humming birds.

Thanks--
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Hibiscus be planted in the ground and survive the winter?

If you bought a *hardy* hibiscus, then it will get through the winter just fine. There are hardy hibiscus and tropical hibiscus, so make sure which one you've got!

o

Many thanks.........I found the tag. It is a "luna red" and appears to be hardy in zones 5-9......SO in the ground it goes!!!

o

Don't be alarmed when it dies back this fall. They do that naturally. And they are *very* slow to wake up in the spring, so don't fret when everything else is up and at em but the hibiscus still looks dead!

o

Yep my hibiscus are one of the last plants to get leaves in the late spring.

Cheryl

o

When you yall's sprout back up?

o

And what about the variegated Hibiscus someone gave me at the ETN swap? From what I've read it's only hardy starting at Zone 9... I guess this means the giver must dig hers up each fall and take it in? I am planning a tropicals garden, so I was planning on having to do this anyway with others, but I don't want to leave anything sitting out that should have been taken in.

o

The variegated ones I know about are all tropical, so it'll have to go inside for the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here