Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raney10

Can someone identify this shrub?

Raney10
18 years ago

This small tree/shrub is growing wild on my hillside property in southeast TN.

Could it be Carolina Allspice? If not, please tell me what you think it is.

As you can see from the tips this bloom is starting to fade and die.

Thanks for your help.

Raney

Comments (17)

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Yup! I have Calicanthus 'Athens' that is a yellow variety that smells like cantalope. My favorite shrub in the garden

Rebecca

• Raney10
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Rebecca. After you gave me the botanical name I was able to do a search and found they are often referred to as Carolina allspice or sweetshrub. Sure wish these were growing along the edge of our woods instead of so far back. Suppose I could try moving a small one. If it works I could do more as there are so many. It's a beautiful spot though with these and banks covered with ferns. Guess they like plenty of moisture.

Thanks for your quick response to my question.

Raney

• donna_stevens
    18 years ago

My dad moved one years ago and it did great. Not sure about the moisture.

• jennbenn
    18 years ago

I wish I knew what the secret is!! I have tried and tried to get this going in my yard, one was a volunteer from a neighbor, 2 sprigs from gw trade, and one I bought maybe on ebay.. anyhoo, none of them made it.. I just don't get it.. I tried several different areas, and kept it well watered, they just all died.. Must be something here they don't like! I just really think they're so cool!

• Raney10
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Donna, I may give it a try but not until fall.

Jennbenn, I wonder if it's the clay soil it doesn't like.
    Our soil is kinda sandy and drains really well, actually dries out too fast up here in our gardens.
    This stand of Carolina allspice is down in the hollow near the creek where it has good drainage but still stays fairly damp.

How do I find the seeds so I can try to grow them?

Raney

• jennbenn
    18 years ago

Yes, it must be the clay! I am going to keep trying, because I love this so much! I do think it needs the moisture as well! Once the blooms fade, you should see some very large and obvious seed pods.. my friend gave me one and I have not yet tried to plant it, not sure if it needs to be wintersown or not!! That reminds me to go dig it out of my seed box and try to see what to do! But, really I don't think you can miss it go look and see if some are still on the bush! Good luck!!

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Sow Calycanthus seed in fall to overwinter outdoors or give it 90 days cold stratification in the refrigerator. It comes up like a weed for me using the second method.

It's a wonderful garden plant and doesn't mind heavy soil in my experience. It does want part shade.

Marty

• jennbenn
    18 years ago

Thanks Marty!! I am going to give it another go!

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Speaking of WSing,...it's only 130 days till the Fall Swap!!!

I'd sure like some seeds from those if somebody could bring 'em. (Marty & Rebecca) ;-)

• peri__n_eal
    18 years ago

Though it is calycanthus, in Carolina they commonly call it a bubby or bubba bush....one of those southern thangs---I guess.

Mine does well in clay with added humus in a mostly moist, mostly shady spot....and my second one seems to be doing ok in deeper shade with less moist clay having to compete with an oak tree for water.

I'm pretty sure it is probably easier to start from woody cuttings than seeds. Just lay a lower limb onto the ground and cover with good soil and check for rooting in a few months.

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Yes, calycanthus, I spelled it wrong :).

I have one that I grew from seed last year just like the pic above. Can't remember if I Winter Sown it or not. It is about a foot tall right now, but has doubled in size already this spring. No blooms yet.

Another southern name I have heard for this shrub is Sweet Boobie Bush! I think it was here that I read that. Sounds like some Mona info, LOL! Ladies would put the bloom in their cleavage for the scent. I can't look at mine without thinking of the name.

Calycanthus floridus 'Athens'
    {{gwi:1286624}}

Rebecca

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

I'm gonna leave that one alone!

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

They sucker like crazy. Should be easy to find some sprouts out away from the main bush, dig 'em and transplant. I've done it a bunch of times with suckers from one at my parents' home. Even in midsummer - if you get a reasonable 'rootball' surrounding the sucker, stick it in a pot and keep it watered well for the first couple of weeks.

• amosmc
    17 years ago

Ornamental flowering spring shrub, best known for its sweet light, fruity fragrance that can fill a yard. (Calycanthus floridus) Sweet Shrub is native to the Appalachian stream banks of the Smokies, where it is also known as Carolina Allspice, Strawberry Bush, Sweet Shade, and Bubby Blossom. Women used to place the flowers in their bodices as a perfume, hence the name "Bubby Blossom". Sweet shrub was once commonly found as an ornamental around colonial homes, especially south of the Mason-Dixon line. Several large bushes can fill a small yard with the combined fragrance of strawberry, cantaloupe, spiced apple, and burgundy wine. Sweet shrub has a distinctive maroon-red flower about 2" across. It is pollinated by small beetles that were the first pollinators of flowering plants and were instrumental in the evolution of flowering plants, long before bees and flies appeared on the scene. When the flower first opens it has the fragrance of spiced apples as it opens over a period of 7 to 10 days. Flowers first appear in mid-March with a flush of flowers in April, and a trailing out through May. Even the leaves are fragrant when rubbed, and in the fall they turn a sunny yellow. In colonial times the cinnamon-flavored bark was used as a seasoning. Sweet shrubs are ideal for planting close to the house near a window where the fragrance may drift indoors. Plant additional plants by a favor-ite path or sitting area. Will flower splendidly in full sun, but is best adapted to light shade. Flowers in 2 to 3 years from seed. Medicinal: Useful for damp spleen. An excellent herb for moving stagnant chi. The leaves, twigs, and buds have diaphoretic properties. An emmenagogue, and possibly has some anti-viral activity plant in fall about 2 inches in ground

anyway with the history lesson over these thngs are all over the place here n ga i have hundreds of seeds and tons of the plants gotta love greenhouses they can ge grown form cuttings if you guys are haveing a hard tme finding any just shoot me a email amosmc81@yahoo.com with a self addressed stamped envalope id be more than happy to send anyone a few seeds to get them started or to trade or whtever :)

• Soeur
    17 years ago

Just an addendum on the fragrance of calycanthus... it varies from plant to plant. I've experienced many completely odorless individuals. 'Athens', the yellow-flowered variety, smells delicious -- very fruity; Rebecca likens it to cantaloupe, my boss thinks it smells like Juicy Fruit gum and it reminds me of fruit cocktail. It's a delightful scent.

At any rate, if you're after the fragrance and you're buying an unnamed type, buy one in bloom to ensure you're getting a smelly feller!

Marty

• lgrbylcm_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have been looking for this shrub for years i never knew the name of it . Now that i know can any one tell me where I can get a start from one. I line in WV.
    Thanks

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Letha,

They are actually very very common. Just about any decent nursery will carry at least one or two cultivars of Sweetshrub. If you are wanting to trade for a division, post in the Plant Exchange forum, include what you have to exchange for one, and I bet someone will respond. BTW, now probably isn't the best time to be dividing one of these or planting a new one (although, with proper care, a non-potbound, pot-grown specimen should be OK even if planted now).