Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

I topped a tree tonight

conniemcghee
14 years ago

Not on purpose. :(

I have always been just crazy about the foilage on Bald Cypress, so when I saw a baby one at K-Mart this year for $15, I had to have it. I moved a Crepe Myrtle to give it the spot of honor right outside our Florida room, so I could get the maximum enjoyment out the windows.

Tonight I was playing fetch with Simon in the backyard. I threw the bumper...WHACK! Hit the tree and took off the top 18". :( The thin trunk snapped right in two.

I was mortified, and I think I said something like "Oh my God, what have I done!" Simon was just returning with the bumper, and his ears went flat and he got that "OMG, I'm so sorry!" look on his face (whenever anyone yells, he thinks he's in trouble. He's a rescue...)

So, I had to reassure Simon this was not about him, but I felt just SICK. I snipped off the damage, did a little light pruning to make the "new" shape make more sense, brought the top inside to throw away, but couldn't part with it, so it's in a glass of water.

Well, I still have most of the tree left. I hate to lose that growth though. But as Kevin said, it was a little tall and leggy...maybe this will thicken it up.

Sigh.

I had been complaining that our other dog, Angus, "mowed over" the aforementioned crape myrtle the other day after I transplanted it. He took a well-branched shrub down to one stick, in one pass. I guess this makes me as bad as him. ;)

Comments (3)

Sponsored