Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about cantaloupe/squash problem

Posted by bookworm226 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 23:27

I was wondering if anyone can help me discover what is happening to my cantaloupe, zucchini, and squash plants this year. I had this same problem last year but I thought that is was caused by varying amounts of water due to the drought here. But when the problem came up again this year, I started scratching my head!

I planted my cantaloupe plants out about a month ago. They have grown great and are putting on all kinds of runners and blooms. Suddenly one of the plants entirely wilted. I have a thin layer of mulch around them and when I pulled this back I looked at the stem and noticed that it was really woody in texture and very pliable. Nothing had eaten it to my knowledge and it didn't really look like bugs or worms had gotten to it. So far, 2 plants out of 50 have done that. It really bothers me because I never know when another one will go. My yellow crookneck squash and my zucchini have also had this problem. My zucchini was producing perfectly until I went out one morning and saw half of them wilted.

I hope someone can help me out with this problem. Any suggestions about what causes it and what I can do about it? Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about cantaloupe/squash problem

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 14:04

I'd bet on squash vine borers (Melittia cucurbitae). They are very common, and the damage they do is often hard to recognize until the infestation gets serious. The pictures on the web of the damage they do are usually extreme cases. More commonly, the results are exactly as you describe above.

o
RE: Question about cantaloupe/squash problem

Yeah, I second Brandon's comment. Check for small holes in the stem near the base of the wilted stem, with bits of what looks like sawdust coming out of the hole. That is the interior plant material which the little villains have eaten and pooped out.

We've had a bit of success splitting the stem, digging the borers out, and then burying the damanged portion of the stem in a mound of soil. This keeps the whole thing from dying, and they will usually bounce back, but often you'll get multiple infestations. It depends on where you are, I guess, but Chip and I have basically given up on any members of the cucurbit family, with the except of watermelons (which they don't seem to like as much as squash and cucumber).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here