Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

Sharing a few Spring Delights

tngreenthumb
14 years ago

Just posted a few shots to my gallery and thought I'd share them here. Most of the plants you'll see came from the MTPS at one point or another. Some as seeds, others as plants. All have been greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

You feeding those Hostas and Brugs that Uranium-238 again?

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now Jeff...why on earth would you even suggest such a thing???

{{gwi:488564}}

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

Is that your Maya? Mine still looks like a stick with leaves on top. It had some buds forming, but a nasty storm came through and knocked them off. I over winter mine different from you. I cut a limb off and stick it in a bucket of water. I can't seem to keep a potted one alive inside. The original plant I keep in the ground is about 3 inches tall and is reversed variegated and mostly white, so I don't think it is going to do well this year.

Rebecca

• basketcase1212
    14 years ago

How do you get Brug. to bloom so early? Thanks Patricia

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Here's a Spring Delight of my own.

{{gwi:36446}}

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

patricia: Being pretty hale and hardy, I dig mine up every fall after trimming back the tops. I store them over the winter in my basement in pots and let them go dormant, giving them just a little water every now and then to keep them alive.

I take them out in the early spring to let them break dormancy and once all chance of frost is past I put them back in the ground. I usually have blooms by the first of June this way and will have several progressively larger flushes throughout the summer.

See this thread for some illustrative pictures. Somewhere I have a PDF with that and some other information. Would you like a copy of that?

Steve: We really need to get you straightened out with your camera. Does it have a "Macro" setting? If so you should be using that. It is focusing well behind your flowers. What sort of camera are you using?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

tngreen: Camera on phone. ;-) Wife is going to take me some garden pics with heer 40D later today. Hopefully, those will be better...lol.

- Steve

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah. Camera phone explains it. Your minimum focal distance with a fixed focus lens is probably a few feet. Back up! *grin*

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

If I did that, i'd fall over a plant or two. ;-)

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

Hey Joe I still have brug in water from last fall I gave many away have in pots,in the ground that I winter there,about 2 feet tall I just mulch real good.They bloom later.If I plant some in pots this late will they stil bloom or should I just make a stick pile out of them HA HA.I have white,pink and peachy yellow,took lots to the spring swap and brought some back home. Hope to get a virgated one at the fall swap.I will not cut so many sticks this fall.

Thanks Pat.

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pat: The should do fine if planted now. They may not get as big as they would if planted earlier, but they should make a few blooms before Fall frost.

I've had mixed luck getting them to over winter in the ground. If they have really good drainage they may come back, but in heavy soil they'll rot every time. Plus with the bucket method I get many more blooms in a season than I would if they came back from the ground up. Be sure to look at the thread I linked to above. You might want to try cutting trunks instead of sticks.

Oh, and I do have one variegated cutting still in a pot. I'll try to keep it healthy and bring it to the Fall swap. They are a little harder to root that some others.

Sponsored