Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

Like my new planters?

tngreenthumb
14 years ago

We had a large cherry tree fall on our barn back in the spring and had the guy leave the trunk for me. Since the inside was mostly rotted I out wanted to cut it into pieces and make planters and a bench. I finally got around to cutting one piece off yesterday and got it placed and planted today. I'll do the other one this weekend and put it at the other corner of the barn. I think it turned out pretty well.

I also made a planter out of some bricks that have been sitting around here since the house was finished.

I think they serve a much better purpose as a planter than they did as a stack of bricks.

Comments (16)

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Nice job!

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Joe. You are a very creative guy.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

The log planters are great. I'm surprised I haven't seen something like that before, but I don't think I ever have. Someone needs to come up with a lightweight plastic version of a hollow log that looks really real (yeah, I know, ain't gonna happen).

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Even hollowed out they are freakin' heavy. I used my tractor to move that one almost in place then man-handled it the rest of the way.

(The planter, not the log. That bad boy ain't moving much yet.)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

You may have a nitrogen problem as the logs deteriorate. That may be a drawback.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

They look nice to me. =)

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I think you're definitely onto something with the log there. I'm telling you, people at craft shows would snap those up like no tomorrow. :)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    14 years ago

Very nice!

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

brandon: Since these are all annuals or things I take in over the winter, I'm not too worried about that. I don't think it will be enough to bother the petunias and impatiens by the end of the summer and the brug will appreciate the extra nitrogen, I think. Their native habitat is underneath the canopy of much larger trees so the nitrogen content would likely be pretty high.

connie: Too bad I don't have a nice dead forest, huh? *grin*

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

"the brug will appreciate the extra nitrogen, I think."

It's not extra nitrogen you have to worry about, it's the lack of nitrogen. As wood decomposes, it ties up nitrogen from the soil. The nitrogen that your plants need may not be available.

Maybe not a big concern. Everything may do splendidly, and even if the annuals don't do well it's not going to be a huge loss. If you do notice a lack of vigor, especially later on, a little slow-release fertilizer might help. You could even try sealing the inside with some wood sealer. That would also help to increase the life of the planter.

I still really like your idea, and might try it myself if I come up with a hollow log.

• lhendri479
    14 years ago

Do I happen to see a Brugmansia in that tree???

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep. That is one of the trunks from a huge plant last year. It had more die back than the rest so I put in in there rather than in one of the more prominent spots.

You can see a much more impressive one in this thread.

• novice_2009
    14 years ago

WOW! those are cool. i love the log planters, what a great way to reuse something and it looks so natural and beatiful! very cool.

• katiedidcottage
    14 years ago

Those are so beautiful! I know that wood had to be heavy to move!

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Those are so beautiful! I know that wood had to be heavy to move!"

Oh yeah. I broke my tractor on the remaining piece this afternoon.

(Actually I think the seat switch went out.)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

That doesn't sound like a log wight problem (-;

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting