Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geneo74

June Bug Control

geneo74
14 years ago

My front yard is loaded with June bugs this year. I am preparing to apply an insect chemical next month (county agent recommended time) to my yard. Right now I'm leaning towards Sevin, hose on spray, or Spectracide granules. Could anyone give me an input as to what they have used and had good results.

Comments (12)

• geneo74
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Quite amazed with no reply, guess everyone is on vacation or I'm the only one with June bugs in TN. Just remember, if you have em and don't do something about it you will have more next year. They can propagate from 1 each to 60 next year.

• cinlo
    14 years ago

I'm just curious. What harm do June Bugs cause? I've always seen them around but was never aware of anything they actually did that could hurt plants.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Me too Cindy. I sure don't like the way they get on their backs and spin around and make noises at me, though! :D *shiver*

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

The worst problem I've had from June bugs us the occasional kamikaze bonk on the head! I've only seen one June bug this year and they never seem to cause me problems. Japanese beetles are another story!

• geneo74
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These beetles feed at night , usually on the foliage of several types of nut trees, such as pecan, oak and several others. Many homeowners have been surprised to find their young, fully leafed oak or pecan trees stripped to a leafless skeleton almost overnight. Usually caterpillars or worms get the blame for this damage, but it can be attributed to the June Bug.

The larvae of this beetle also cause damage for the unsuspecting homeowner in a couple of ways. First, this large, C-shaped, white grub is present in most lawns, but not always in dense enough populations to cause severe damage. They will feed on the roots of several lawn grasses. Unfortunately, you cannot detect the damage they've done until days later, when the turf comes under water or drought stress because of a lack of roots. This turf gets your attention when it usually turns brown dies.

The secondary type of damage attributed to this white grub is the presence of armadillos and the damage they inflict on your lawn. In their hunt for these large, fat, juicy, white grubs, an armadillo will tear up quite a bit of real estate in one night's time. If you didn't have the mature beetles and white grubs, as well as other insects in the lawn, turf and soil, the armadillos would look for other, more lucrative hunting grounds.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Armadillos are a huge problem in Brentwood. I can't keep those suckers off my lawn! There are four or five of them out there every morning. Annoying!

:P

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

OK, OK...hubby tells me that there actually ARE armadillos around here. What? I'm not sure I believe him. In 44 years, I have yet to see an armadillo... :)

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

I have yet to see a live armadillo...

plenty of roadkill though!

• Janice T
    8 years ago

They will totally eat the flowers and leaves off rose bushes, they will decimate lilies, destroy morning glories, hardly nothing escapes their jaws. I have tried every organic home made and store bought organic sprays but have found nothing that stops them more than a day. Please, anyone with the solution......spill it!!

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    8 years ago

Are you confusing "june bug" with japanese beetles? There's a vast difference, both in size and appetite. June bugs are natives. Japanese beetles are imported scrourges from ****. JB are about a 1/4 inch long, June bugs approach 1"+.

• Janice T
    8 years ago

We live 65 miles south of DC and planted a Japanese flowering cherry tree like they have on the mall around the White House. It flowered nicely but then the beetles attacked it in July and every leaf had thousands of pinholes in them. I climbed up a ladder and sprayed it with a hose end lawn bug and insect spray. That stopped them till the next rain and about a third of them came back. I hope I don't have to spray every time it rains.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA