Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
worms ` worms ` worms

Posted by SIMMONSBEARHUGS NORTH MS (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 8:50

My tomatoes are being eaten alive with worms. After finding them, I put seven dust on them. Is this the right thing to do. Only found one worm. Did it do all that damage? Also will they live after some of the leaves are stripped? I hate worms.
Billie
Byhalia, MS.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: worms ` worms ` worms

One tomatoe hornworm can do an unthinkable amount of damage. I use BT for worms less toxic to everything else.

o

I have been finding them on mine, never had this problem before.

o

If they are the bright green tomato hornworms, you can pick them off and crush them or put them in soapy water to die. If you see any with white things sticking out of them - the white things are wasps that will kill the hornworms - LEAVE THAT WORM! The wasps will multiply and you won't have too much of a problem next year. I had a terrible problem until I learned how to see the worms (you can spray plant with water and that will make the worms move a little - easier to see) - but I left the ones with wasps and the next year only had 1 or 2 and lots more tomatoes.

o

Have you planted flowers close by? I made the mistake of prettying up the veggie patch one year with zinnias... BAD decission! The moths went from the flowers right on over to my tomatoes. I picked a dozen worms off each morning and again each evening all summer! It was awful. Now that I have no flowers nearby, I've found only five or so worms this year.
Bev

o

Fish with 'em!!! Cut the heads off, turn 'em inside out, bait the hook and wait for the catfish to make your day!

o

I can hear them things chewing! Being an organic type person when it comes to my veggies, I blast them with cold water to get them to move so you can spot and squash them. Early morning is the best time. Lime will just give them white poop. Good luck, Rhonda

o

• Posted by wfike Atlanta, Ga. (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 8, 06 at 21:05

the easiest way to eliminate the problem is when you plants the tomato plants place a plastic cup around the stalk of the plant so that the worms can't climb up the stalks and you will not have any problems. They will die or go somewhere else. Been doing it for years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here