Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Blasted Hornets!

brandon7 TN_zone7
14 years ago

Last weekend I found a large hornet's nest in a viburnum. The nest is wrapped around the central branch of the shrub. I had mowed withing 2' of it on both sides just before finding it. I guess it's a miracle I wasn't stung.

I called some pest control companies and found they want $150 just to "start treatment". It sounds like they might have to come back at least once more.

Different sites on the internet say to spray the nest with poison. One says to make sure you have some good running shoes on while doing this. I don't think this is a good option for me!

There's the soda bottle trap idea, but most sites say that this is only for a few hornets and not for eliminating a whole nest of them.

Some people have said to tackle the nest after dark. I figure if it's dark enough that the bees can't see, it will be too dark for me too and I'll trip over something and turn into a big pincushion for the hornets.

Does anyone have any ideas about getting rid of this nest? Do you think the nest or hornets will affect the shrub?

Comments (14)

• madmouser
    14 years ago

There are some good tips at this site.
    But after reading through it, the $150 looks cheap considering how touchy these nasties are!
    I'd call around and get some estimates. Apparently you also have to make sure that all traces of the nest on the bush are eliminated or they'll be back.

Here is a link that might be useful: getting rid of hornets

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

*shudder*

I am terrified of this. I would gladly give someone $150 or more to get rid of hornets.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laura, that was the site that advised getting good running shoes. I ain't that fast. LOL

I only called one official pest control company. But that guy made it sound like he would probably have to come back at least once. So $150 + $150? = $300?! I can just stay away from the nest until winter and then remove the whole shrub, if I have to, for that much money. I did see something where a guy was talking about mixing Sevin with tunafish in oil and feeding them with that. I might just try it.

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

Have Noel do it. :)

• saraintn
    14 years ago

Brandon, we resorted to calling our termite control company for our yellow jackets and he came out using a sprayer connected to the truck and sprayed quite a lot under the H/A unit. He quoted $125 but I asked if it was cheaper if you had a contract with them and he lowered it to $100 for us. He gave a 30 day guarantee. I asked him about hornets for you and he said that when he got through spraying the the nest would basically disintegrate and there would be no real need to come out again. With the guarantee they give, return trips within the 30 days would be covered.

I had a similar hornets'nest as you once and my husband got in the car,drove fairly close, and blasted them with hornet spray with the window almost closed.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, that's a funny mental picture Sara. With my luck, they'd find some way into the vehicle and I'd be a captive target.

I'm debating on whether to try the tunafish thing or just leave them until winter and remove the nest then. I'd just have to try to stay clear for a few months.

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

Brandon,

If you decide to do this, I would experiment with which sprayer lets you keep the safest distance.
    The pump-up Weedkiller or whatever sprayer with the nozzle on a narrow stream will probably spray farther than a little squirt bottle.

Evelyn

• rosie_ga
    14 years ago

We had a terrible problem with yellowjackets this year.......going in a small hole on the bricked back porch. I knew they were nesting in the attic but I couldn't attack them due to severe allergy to their stings.
    We tried the spray.....no good. Then I thought about the ol' timey fly sticky things that farmers used to put in their barns. Picked up some at the Farmer's Coop. They were 40 cents apiece. Hang them up at night when the insects are still. So far this year we have used around 10 of them and captured about 500 yellowjackets. Works wonderfully. Not sure if yellowjackets are different from hornets but bet it would work on them too. One good thing about yellowjackets is that they won't return to that same place after October. Not sure what the queen does.

KL

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

C'Mon people! Think out of the box.

Bug Bombs! Tie one to as long a stick as you can find (The proverbial 10ft pole would be nice) and ease it under the nest right after dark. If you can then toss a tarp over the bush real quick you should be able to wipe them out in their sleep.

(Please note this is untested, but should work if for no other reason that pushing all the oxygen out. I'd try it.)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Most bug bombs kill plants. Even the ones that are houseplant friendly say not to use around plants in confined areas.

Then, there's still the thing about getting close enough to put the tarp over the shrub. Picture me with white feathers, yellow claw feet, and a beak.

I think I'm gonna wait for October (or whenever they go away on their own).

• saraintn
    14 years ago

One more idea Brandon. I was looking at the BEST of Craigslist and found this-just a thought.

FREE Hornet's Nest

Date: 2009-07-15, 9:02PM EDT

I have a hornet's nest free for the taking! Hornets included. You must remove. Will need a ladder, it's under a 2nd floor eave. I just noticed it today. It's almost the size of a volleyball.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ROFL, I'm sure they had to fight off the mob of people showing up to claim their prize.

My hornet's nest had a side break off last weekend. The hornets seemed noticeably more aggressive. I made another round of calls to local pest control places, and found one willing to do the job for quite a bit less. I had him come out and take care of the nest. I actually haven't been back out there in a few days to make sure all the hornets were gone, but the pest control guy seemed pretty sure the nest was history.

The exterminator said the stuff he was using wouldn't hurt my viburnum, but that's another thing I am a little concerned about. I plan on going out there tomorrow. I guess we'll see.

• tntom
    14 years ago

Why kill them? Just keep your distance. 8-10' from the shrub. They will be gone this winter. You can remove the nest then.http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/horn-yj.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: hornets

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tom, They attacked my truck as I drove by (about 10' from the nest). It looked like one of those cartoons where the bees come out as a dark cloud of smoke. Hundreds and hundreds of them kept hitting the truck. If I had been on my lawnmower, I'd probably have had to go to the hospital or worse. They were out for blood! I'm all for protecting wildlife (I'm one of those that carries bugs outside instead of killing them.), but when it comes down to me or them, they're dead!