Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

what's your favorite tomato

novice_2009
14 years ago

I'm growing a different type of tomato this year, crimson sprinter, an indeterminate type that was "bred" (is that the right word?) for it's vigor. I started them from seeds, and man do they grow! They are covered in green tomatoes now, shouldn't be long. However, as I was praising the plants, my husband said..Let's see how they taste. So, I was wondering.....

What's your favorite type of tomato for it's performance in our area, and most of all, it's flavor?

Comments (20)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

The ones from the store....I never have much luck with this particular crop. Most anything else does great, but tomatoes always have some problem or other here.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

My favorite is the Better Boy. I also start the tomatoes from seed, and try several different varieties. This year Super Steak, Goliath, Box Car Willie (love that name), Early Girl, Rutgers, Amish Paste, and Arkansas Traveler. They are growing well, most are already over my head, but we do have to water them. For now just watching and waiting for one to ripen, YUM YUM !

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

I have to vote for the Brandywine! It's delicious! I'm hoping though that the Cherokee purples will take it's place this year at the top of my tomato list.

• novice_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmm, Brandywine. dvtown, did you start those from seed? Are they determinate or indeterminate? I like to have tomatoes all season. Never grown those. If these don't taste great, I'll try Brandywine next year. Cherokee purples sound good, let me know how they turn out!!!
    Anyone else?

• mstagjd120
    14 years ago

I love Cherokee Purple but I don't have much luck with them. Brandywine is great. I also like Nyagous, which is a smaller black variety.

Jennifer

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    14 years ago

My two favorites are both small -- I LOVE yellow pears and grape tomatoes. The yellow pears will reseed themselves every year and make LOTS of yummy little fruits, and the grapes just taste too wonderful!

• madmouser
    14 years ago

I can't grow them, not enough sun. But I hit the farmers' markets for Cherokee Purples. Love those. Big ol' beefsteaks with a good tang.
    I also like Better Girl, also bought from farmers markets. That's one's good with basil and mozzarella.

• cinlo
    14 years ago

My dad has grown Early Girl, Celebrity, and Jet Star. I'm trying to grow the Celebrity and Jet Star this year and will let you know how they turn out.

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

I started the Brandywine from seed like the Cherokees. All the tomato plants have large and plump green tomatoes. Now I just have to wait for them to ripen! The Brandywine took longer to ripen than the Big Boys last year so it may be the second week of July before they do.

Amazindirt,

I'm trying the yellow pears this year. Have yours ripened yet?

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

I like the ones that are just turned, sliced thick, rolled in flour and fried. *grin*

Brandywines are good. Rutgers and Early Girls too. I tend to prefer the more acidic ones. Oh, and Roma tomatoes for cooking with. (or salads)

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

I have grown many varieties over the years but like Bradley the most.
    jim_6b

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    14 years ago

Dvtown -- I'm not growing any veggies this year, and I moved since last season so I don't have any volunteers either. I don't really remember the exact ripening dates, although I think they ripen relatively early. Sorry!

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Steve, did you see Volunteer Gardener this week? There was a lady on there showing how to make sturdy, cheap tomato cages.

Her favorites were Better Boy and one called "Mortgage Lifter." :)

• columbiajen
    14 years ago

I am really enjoying the German Queen that I got as a gift. I believe it came from Lowes.

Blessings,
    Jennifer

• jengc
    14 years ago

My favorite are the first to turn red! lol I have Amish Paste, Porter, and Tiny Tim. My mom bought some from the store and have no idea what kind they are. We would have had some already if they didnt get End blossom rot or something like that. But we have BUNCHES getting light green. I even love the smell of the plants! LOL

And to think, I used to not really enjoy tomatoes before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

ROMA!!! I love Italian tomatoes the best.

We have Roma's, Better Boy's, Best Boy's and Bradley's but I'd just as soon raise nothing but Roma's.

Connie I think that was Marty that did the tomato segment on VG.
    C'mon Marty, get back on here - we miss you girl!!!

If you want 400+ tomato varieties to choose from then check out http://www.mariseeds.com/
    That gal is off the hook with 'maters and peppers!!!
    If you can't find a tomato that tickles your fancy on her farm then you're beyond help!
    For $3.00 you get a pack of 25-40 seeds.
    I actually tried counting what she has:
    85 Italians
    75 Pinks & Purples
    65 Reds
    56 Cherries
    50 Yellows, Golds and Oranges
    38 Blacks
    26 Bi-colors
    12 Greens
    12 Whites

• jengc
    14 years ago

When you say 25-40 seeds, do you mean packs of seeds or actually seeds? Just wondering. I went to the site but she doesnt list what seeds you get for what package. I was interested in this package

Really Rainbow Salad Mix
    Even kids will love helping make the salads at your house
    when you bring them a basket of this colorful collection to toss into their creations.
    Packet contains equal amounts of many of the colored cherries in this catalog.
    #RR.............................................................................................30 seeds $3.00

but I dont know where to get a list of what is in it. does she mean only tomatoes or does that include radishes, carrots and lettuce?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

I have a feeling, that when I grow Sungold next year, it will become my favorite mater. =) Right now, it's Roma.

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Hands down the ones that come from my Aunts garden all ready canned! She started some from seed this year and some plants made their way to the swap in the spring. The variety is called Delicious. They are supposed to get up to a pound per tomato. They are fruiting in clumps right now and are beautiful so far. I am eager to see how they taste as they are healthy and prolific so far.

• gordon64
    14 years ago

I like Cherry Tomatoes, just pop in my mouth all thru the day.In this heat they are a releif

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living