Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traciham_gw

Plant Swap Question

traciham
15 years ago

I recently came across this forum and notice that there was a plant swap in Memphis a couple of months ago. Are there any future plans to do this again. I am a gardener newbie and would love to attend one the next time it happens.

Comments (19)

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

November 1st

Good Shepard UMC
    6050 Summer Ave
    Memphis, TN

Pancake breakfast,
    pot-luck lunch.

• traciham
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate it.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Traci if you put Memphis Plant Swap into the "Search" you will get a lot of the threads on GardenWeb that have been written regarding the MPS. That way you can read about what a great time everyone had at the last one! The Memphis Plant Swap is in excellent hands and I'm certain that it will continue to get bigger and better each year.

We also have The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap in Chapel Hill and The Knoxville Plant Swap in K'town. All three have bi-annual swaps; one in the spring and one in the fall of each year.

I don't think that Squid has busted off a webpage for the MPS yet but I'm sure it's on the way.
    The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap webpage address is: http://www.midtnplantswap.com/ .
    The KPS is at: http://www.knoxplantswap.com/.
    Please visit both sites so you can get an idea of what our three Tennessee plant swaps are all about.

The fall MTPS will be on Oct. 18th.
    The fall KPS will be... ??? Dang! Nat/Cheryl/Brandon ya'll need to get a date posted on the webpage!

We all try and not have our swaps on the same weekends so theoretically you could hit six kickin' plant swaps each year and bag tons of cool plants! One of these days Lavonne and I will do the full rally. There are a lot of folks that hit both the KPS & MTPS or MPS & MTPS.

Beware, plant swap are highly contagious to those that attend and can be physically, mentally, emotionally as well as psychologically addictive. ItÂs inevitable, once youÂre hooked you will become a plant swap junkie just like all the rest of us.

• traciham
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am becoming very hooked on plants so I am sure I will with plant swaps also. Thanks for all the information and I will do a search. Looking forward to it.

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Traci,
    Please try our plant swap out. I had such a great time meeting other West Tennesseans and came home with an abundance of plants. The Good Shepard Church was just the nicest host and Sandsquid makes some mean pancakes. One of these days I will cut loose and visit the MTPS. Gotta get that boy child raised a bit more! Really you can't go wrong with the fellowship. Did I mention the abundance of plants? Drool! Can't wait for Fall!

• traciham
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am definitely looking forward to it. I have a friend that has really gotten into gardening the past couple of years and she is my partner in crime. She wants to go also. We really don't know anyone outside ourselves that are obessive about plants as we are becoming. Our selection is probably as not as big as most..but you got to start somewhere. Thanks for the information.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I'll have to work on the web-page thing....

If things work out as I plan, I'll have cuttings of about 10 different fig varieties, a bunch of different elderberries (red, black, purple, and white.) and perhaps some Currants.

Ohh, and some more of that "juice" that accidentally got infected with Saccharomyces and spontaneously fermented.

Any of you get any bottles of that stuff get a chance to taste test it yet?

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Do you ship? I would be happy to be a taste tester :). You know...to make sure it's not poisonous.

Rebecca

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Sorry, it's illegal for me to ship wine, as I am not Licensed and Bonded by the B.A.T.F., and State of TN.

I can only give it away (hand to hand) to guests.
    And I cannot derive _any_ compensation from these "gifts".

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Darn, well maybe someday we can meet halfway at the MTPS :).

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Outside the Park; no alcohol inside! TN State Park rules.

And...No traps, seines, handthrown spears, nets (except landing nets), firearms (including air and gas powered pistols and rifles), blow guns, bows and arrows or crossbows, and any other implements designed to discharge missiles in the air or under the water which are capable of destroying animal life is prohibited.

Sorry Bec I know you want to show 'em off but you have to leave those BGM-71 TOW missles at home :-)

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Hey Leigh maybe we can get a car pool going to the Mtps. That is if we can get all the kids taken care of, or lets just let them take care of themselves! And we have to have room for plants ofcourse.

Mary

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

B-b-but Jeff...What about my flame thrower? It's just perfect for quick grilling hot dogs. Is flame considered a missle?

It's more like a stream...

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Ya know... that isn't mentioned in the Tennessee State Parks rules & regs at all! I guess you CAN bring that old 1975 M2A1-7 Flamethrower. It seemed to serve the Jarheads pretty well when they wanted to cook something. I don't think that the NVA/VC in tunnels cared for 'em much though.

In the United States, private ownership of a flamethrower is not restricted by federal law! Can you believe that? Who knew? Well it is a misdemeanor in California.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Hmmm....I wonder if I could fire off a flame thrower in my driveway and scare off my neighbor when she meddles in my business and walks up on me unannounced in the garden and scares the begesus out of me. Anyone want to buy my house?

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

"Hidey Ho, neigh--""---bor...."

• honeybunny442
    15 years ago

A good ol' garden hose is great for those surprise visits.

• bee_1
    15 years ago

Do you know of any plant swaps in the Nashville area?

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

The MTPS is only 45 miles from downtown Nashville and it is all Interstate except for the last 12 miles on 99 which is a 55 mph highway. Actually you do have .8 of a mile on 431 that is 45 mph and .7 of a mile on 31A that is 40 mph.

It only takes me 40 minutes (driving the speed limit) to get there from Crieve Hall and it only takes me an hour driving it from Goodlettsville. It's an EASY drive to Henry Horton State Park!

Bee check out our websitge at http://www.midtnplantswap.com/Directions/directions.html and see just how close you really are to the best plant swap in the World. (OK I may be a tad biased)

Jeff

Sponsored