Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

Evergreen shrub recommendation?

conniemcghee
15 years ago

I wondered if you guys might make some suggestions for a shrub for me:

I am in Nashville (6B I think?) Looking for an evergreen that will get about 10-12 feet tall and do so quickly. This would be under a maple tree, so it would get some light in the winter but be in bright full shade in the summer. Will go outside our fence on the west side of the house. Variegated leaves would be interesting, or something that had a light hue to the leaves. I'm planning to do a "white garden" down this side of the fence.

I am thinking some sort of holly would work. If you have recommendations on a holly that's fast-growing please let me know! I am especially interested in a male holly that doesn't produce berries. Or any other evergreens you can think of would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Soeur
    15 years ago

How moist is the site, and what kind of maple is it? Silver Maple could be a problem. Red Maple would indicate a fairly decent moisture supply, which is good.

In general, a broad leaved evergreen will grow faster than a needle type. Given that, you might look into variegated aucuba (Aucuba japonica cv -- there are yellow/green and cream/green varieties) if you want something that gets wide-ish, or the small growing Carolina Cherry Laurel 'Bright 'n' Tight' (Prunus caroliniana) if you want something that stays narrower. The first will get about 8-9 ft, I believe and the second plant gets about 15 feet tall ultimately. FYI, there's a variegated Illicium ('Shady Lady') on the market which sounds like a great plant for your situation on paper but is a poor grower in my experience. I'd steer clear of that one.

Evergreen hollies tend to want a bit more sun than you're describing, but the old standby Dwarf Burford is reliable. It's a dwarf only compared to regular Burford by the way, as it will get 10 feet tall and wide, despite all the write-ups claiming it maxes out at 6 feet. Super drought tolerant, no-care shrub.

Another holly to consider if the shade is light and there's some direct sun in the PM is Nellie R Stevens. Classic holly cone shape, bright red berries, fast growing to 15-18 feet, can be pruned if you want. Very Christmas-y.

Marty

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Marty!!!
    Shoot me an email or call me. 310-4155

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ten feet tall and wide would be just perfect.

I love Aucuba. I had some at our other house and I just adore this shrub! However, I am afraid they might get too much sun in this location when the tree loses its leaves. It was fairly sunny this winter, until the tree leafed out.

Really, what would be absolutely perfect is a male holly that would get to about 10 feet and didn't produce berries. Sadly for me, most hollies I have seen are marketed as producing "lots of berries." Not much demand for berry-less hollies, apparently!

If you're interested in why I would want a holly without berries: I have two Labs and I am trying to make my landscaping as dog-friendly as I possibly can. Holly berries are toxic, and my dogs just love to put everything in their mouths. :( Retrievers are so mouthy! These shrubs will be outside their fenced area, so if I have to have berries then I guess it will be OK. But if there is a berry-less option I would rest easier. :)

• myrtleoak
    15 years ago

Red tip photinia, full size yaupon holly

• Soeur
    15 years ago

Sounds like 'China Boy' holly would be perfect for you... no berries, tough as nails, gets 10 by 10 or so.

There's an oddball dwarf male American Holly called 'William Hawkins' that might also do, but it's a more straggly grower than China Boy, not as good a general landscape shrub IMO.

Marty

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think China Boy does sound perfect. :) I've seen Dwarf Burfords around, though, so I know I could find those. Haven't run across a China Boy.

Sponsored