Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

UT Garden Summer Workshops

krikit
13 years ago

Don't know if any of you in the Knoxville area have taken advantage of this but I just attended a Hypertufa Workshop yesterday and it was fabulous!!! Emily, the instructer, was so good - I was thrilled with the class and plan to take more. So if you've not already, please check it out ....

http://utgardens.tennessee.edu/events/documents/educationsummer2010.pdf

Comments (9)

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    13 years ago

Looks good, Krikit. I see a couple left I'd like to try.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Frances,
    Where do we put in our order for the pots? Have you got a website or something? I want about a dozen extra large ones.

• krikit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah Brandon - you just know mine will all be a work of art!!! Haven't gotten the marketing strategy worked out yet ;-) But, I can say it was fun and there might be some at the plant swap, but not a dozen large ones, ha!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Ya know, I think there might be a good market for those locally. Maybe it's just another one of my hair(less)-brained ideas, but I've often wondered if someone couldn't make some money making hypertufa pots. I don't see many for sale, and the ones I do see are pretty expensive (relatively speaking). Of course, if you do go into business, I want a discount, if not a part of the business. (-;

• krikit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're right Brandon, I've not seen many of them around - did see some at one local nursery but like you said they were a bit pricey $35 and up I think - and that was a couple of years ago. I paid $35 for the class and made 2 of them so that was a deal. I do hope to make some more of them, and of course there is the hypertufa forum here on the GW so now that I've gotten started I can better understand what they are talking about and hopefully learn from it. As for selling them - geez, I've been trying for years to think of something enjoyable to make a little $$ at but unfortunately I'm just not one of those folks that have a knack for being able to sale. With me, it's buy high - sell low!!! i.e. I lose money on pretty much anything I try.

• palmetto_gardener
    13 years ago

Talking about making money doing something enjoyable, I have the skills to do several crafty things--they just take so long there's no money in it. I decided a while ago to just "buy the thing" instead of thinking I could make it. On the other hand, someone at my garden club meeting tonight talked about a plan to propagate shrubs and sell. Maybe hypertufa would be better. ;)

• karenrf
    13 years ago

I've wanted to try to make some hypertuffa stuff.
    You can do some really cool things with it.

Did you have to wear gloves?
    Seems like the lime in the concrete could eat your skin up if I remember correctly.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Let's all go over to Frances's house and let her teach us. Maybe she will supply the materials like at UT. hehehe

• krikit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

O.K. Brandon - I do believe you've been out in the sun too long :-) I'm sure that most of you could do better reading the instructions than learning from me, ha!

Karen - we did wear gloves, and even a dust mask while mixing the dry ingredients and until the mixture was wet enough for there to be no dust. Most especially the perlite was dusty. I'm still excited about trying different things with it. I noticed they have a leaf casting class coming up a bit later - think I may sign up for that! And the hypertufa forum here on the GW seems to have lots of good info, but right now I've got maters, pepper, okra, and corn standing in my way, LOL. But after that I'll be getting started - so Brandon, all jokes aside, you'd be welcome to come over - but as I said, either of you guys would know more than me just by reading the instructions - I'm not real smart :-(

Sponsored