Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistya55

Finding succulents and sedums in west and middle TN

mistya55
16 years ago

Hi there. I have been looking for named sedums and succulents here close to where I live. I am close to Lexington, TN. I would drive a couple of hours if I could find a place with a larger selection. Thanks for any help. Misty

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

If you can get there when the plants first arrive, Home Depot or Lowes can have some surprisingly good deals on succulents. Occasionally, they will even get in relatively rare stuff. I have happened upon stuff that I just couldn't believe I was seeing on some visits. I have also seen a number of posts in the Cacti and Succulent Forum about neat things people have discovered there. It's a "Russian Roulette game" but still worth the shot (pun intended). The downfall is that the plants are usually killed by poor care within about a month at these places and you never know what, if anything, you will find. The stores don't seem to be able to take care of them at all.

Sorry I don't know of any nurseries or specialty stores in your area that sell succulents. You might also consider mail order. There are many awesome online succulents sellers. Check Garden Watchdog for a detailed list of rated suppliers.

• mistya55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Brandon and thanks for the reply. Are you talking about the ones on the wooden racks? I have watched those and they say they are hardy to 36 degrees. I may try to get a couple and just test them. I am new to the succulents so I'm not sure on the rare ones. I do like mini type succulents and sedum. I will be on the watch out for them. I think I might go take a look today.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Are you looking for succulents to plant and leave outdoors? If so, most Sedums and Sempervivum will do fine if planted in very well draining soil. Raised beds or planting in pots is helpful. There are also a number of other succulents that are hardy here, but those two groups are the largest.

I grow over a dozen types of Sedum and about a dozen and a half types of Sempervivum.

I think mail order or trading on Gardenweb will definitely be the way to go to get much of a selection of hardy succulents. HD and Lowes sell some Sedum and a few Sempervivum, but that's about all.

• pineviewplanter
    16 years ago

Hi, I am fairly close to Lexington.. but I only have the common sedums that most folks round these parts have.. but I have tons of daylilies that are going to get dug up and disposed of this fall.. wants some??

PVP

• mistya55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi PVP. Are you close to Perryville? If so we are really close. Send me an email and lets see if can arrange to meet up. Misty

• daisy522
    16 years ago

Misty,
    If you havent already heard about him.... Paul Little at Little Hill Nursery sells TONS of sedums! I dont know if he has a website, but call him. He's a great plantsman.

Little Hill Nursery. 5494 Raleigh LaGrange Memphis, TN 38134 (SHELBY County). Phone: (901) 246-1314 E-mail: sci@midsouth.rr.com.
    Good Luck,
    Linda in Collierville

• mistya55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am going to mapquest that now. I will be going on a road trip next weekend. I am going to call and check on his hours and such. Thanks for the replies everyone. Misty

• clou13
    16 years ago

would love some of your lilys this fall email me at lucky13@tds.net

• nick363
    15 years ago

I know of a few nurseries in the Nashville area and one in Jacksonson TN that have very good to good selections of cold hardy succelent, mainly sedum and sempervivum. The two in the Nashville area are Bates Nursery (good seletion) and Hewitts Nursery (great selection of Sedum). Hewitts is located just south of Nashville in the Brentwood Suburb. It's only about 15-20 minutes from downtown. In Jackson The Nursery is Randolph's Greenhouses(good selection).

Sponsored