Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Balsa tree invasion- S.E. Tennessee

Posted by kayef 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 11:00

has anyone besides me seen an increase in balsa trees, fast growing tropical trees? I like the speed, the leaves and the shade they provide, and the small birdsnenjoy them. But I am concerned about allowing them to stay, and possibly spread? Not seeing anything on the forestry sites about if they are a threat? On the positive side, they do create a nice fast privacy screen!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Balsa tree invasion- S.E. Tennessee

You can rest assured that balsa trees are not invading Tennessee (at least not and living to tell about it)! Balsa trees are tropical trees that are hardy to around zone 10. They'd have to be grown in a heated greenhouse to survive here.

It appears that you have one of those nasty paulownias growing by your deck. They are very invasive (environmentally damaging) in Tennessee. The TN-EPPC rates them as a Severe Environmental Threat. Unfortunately, there are disreputable businesses pushing this scourge and putting out a lot of false info to get people to buy paulownia tees (seedlings and cuttings) from them, but they should be avoided like the plague.

If that were my tree, it would be gone at my very earliest convenience. There are plenty of much better alternatives.

o
RE: Balsa tree invasion- S.E. Tennessee

There are several varieties of Pawlownia but none worth keeping , all things considered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here