Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatos have spots

Posted by fivemurfs 6.5 TN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 11:07

My plants are big and healthy, the tomatoes are big and taste good, but they don't look very healthy. When they are ripe the develop little spots that increase in size once they are picked, and they rot where the spots were. As I said the plants look healthy, very few leaves are dropping because of fungus.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatos have spots

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 17:45

Can you better describe the spots? Any chance of a good quality picture?

o

I'll try to link to a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Spots

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 22:17

That picture is too small for me to see the area clearly. From what I can tell, I think it's anthracnose. Another possibility, though, is bacterial spot. Both of these diseases are described in the link below. If neither seem to match, let me know and see if you can get a larger, close-up pic along with a description of any foliar or stem damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Diseases and Disorders

o

Thanks for the link. It is definitely Anthracnose.

This year I mulched my vegetables with pine bark. I wonder if that might be where this came from? I've had various problems with fungi over the past couple of years but this is new one. I wonder if the problems come along with the plants I bring in?

I have a good mind to spray bleach over the whole patch and let it lie fallow for a year. I suppose that would kill the soil for a while, but it might be worth it if the soil, and not the plants, are the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here