Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lots of questions - new in tn

Posted by golfngardennut 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 11:31

I just moved here this weekend, and had to leave my garden behind... yesterday I went and bought some nice looking tomatoes and peppers, I was wondering what I can expect for quantity this year (I know it is the end of the season so to speak)? Also, is there a book that anyone can recommend that tells me what to plant and do month by month here? Finally (for now) I am looking for a large quantity of compost to put in my garden - I live in Ripley, can anyone tell me where to get it? Thanks, all...

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lots of questions - new in tn

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 15:59

Welcome Pat!

Here's a link to the UT Ag Extension's publications. Click on "Gardening", look for the "Vegetables" section, and then take a look at "Growing Vegetables in Home Gardens". That publications has a ton of info including planting times for spring-planted cool-season vegetables, warm-season vegetables, and fall vegetables.

I don't have any idea about getting compost in Ripley. Your post was the first time I had ever heard of the place. But I looked it up on Google Maps.

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Ag Extension Publications

o

Welcome to Tennessee. I'm not close to Ripley. You might try looking up your county name in phone book and UT Extension Service will probably be listed under it. Call the number and your county UT extension service office may be able to help you with local questions.

o

Ripley might be in zone 7, so you can say you will have good growing weather til at least the middle of October, I think. That's a good 90 days, more or less, so cucumber or beans can still be planted, squash too or sweet corn.

o

Thanks to everyone for their replies - Brandon, thank you for the reference, it is awesome and exactly what I was looking for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here