Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daphne35

Fig trees

daphne35
16 years ago

I would like to plant about three fig trees at our new home site this fall. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase an Italian honey fig, celeste, dessert fig or brown turkey fig? I would like to find some in approx. 3 gallon containers if possible. We live in Dickson--approx. 40 minutes from Nashville.

Comments (8)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Check Home Depot. I haven't looked this year, but last year, the HD here had about 4 or 5 varieties. They were healthy, large sized (probably 5 gallon pots), and very reasonably priced!

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

post this over at the Figs forum - folks there will be able to direct you to the appropriate source - if HD doesn't have 'em, or may be willing to send you dormant cuttings for you to start your own from.

• christnpalm
    16 years ago

Hey, if I were you I'd plant my figs now or in the early spring not the Fall! They will do a lot better if they can have some time to get established. I'd also plant them some place they can be at least a little sheltered.
    I have Brown Turkey, Celeste, Chicago and a local TN pass along from the Smokies.
    They do pretty well most years Usually just some of the smaller branches get frozen back. I throw a tarp over them if temps are going to be below 18f.
    hth
    Chris

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Chris,

Now is not a good time to plant trees at all! The tree would likely suffer a lot of extra stress and might not make it at all if transplanted this time of year. Planting in spring or fall is the correct time to plant most trees, shrubs, and perennials.

When trees are transplanted they suffer from some degree of transplant shock. During the hot and dry periods of summer, they need to be at their best to survive. Even frequent watering is sometimes not enough to nurse a newly transplanted tree, shrub, or perennial through this stressful time of year. Summer is the worst time of year to transplant trees.

Most trees can be transplanted throughout winter in climates as warm as Tennessee without negative effect. As long as the ground is not frozen, most trees would do fine.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

If you do transplant warmer climate trees in late fall or winter, do mulch them well.

• maternut
    16 years ago

Just my two cents, all figs will do better if you can give them protection with a north wall, like next to a house, garage, barn etc. with a southern exposure.
    Norm

• kdragonsoul19
    11 years ago

My figs look horrible. HoW can I save them? I'm an amateur gardener and I put a couple fig trees in the ground about a week ago. At first they were just wilting during the day, but now they are looking really rough with yellowing drooping leaves. Should I relocate back to a bigger pot or to a new spot in the yard? I live in south ga so it's pretty hot here and I found out after I planted them that I should not plant unless it was dormant. I thought if they came from the store they could go in the dirt. Help what should I do?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

kdragonsoul19,

First, if you'd like to discuss your figs further, you might consider starting your own, new thread...that way the originator of this post wouldn't get responses meant for you, you would get the responses meant for you, and it might be less confusing for other readers later on.

Now, as for your figs, there is nothing at all wrong with planting them after they have broken dormancy. It might be a little too late, ideally, for planting them in your location (especially this year), but that is not your problem. I can guarantee you that many people will be planting figs later than this, and that they will still be fine.

Without knowing what's happening at your site, it's hard to know what the problem is. Here are some groups of questions you might answer, in a new thread, that could help to pinpoint what might be wrong:
    1. Were your figs pot-grown? If so, how did you address pot-bound roots when you planted your trees?
    2. Can you thoroughly describe the process you used when planting your trees? Did you amend your soil?
    3. How have you been checking soil moisture? Do you check the rootball as well as the surrounding soil? How do you determine when to water?
    4. Were the plants healthy when you got them? Had they been hardened off (were they outside when you bought them)?
    5. Have you noticed any signs of vole activity in the area where the trees are planted?

Don't replant your figs until we figure out what's going on. That would only add additional stress.

Sponsored