Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulching strawberries

Posted by ladybug37091 z7 Tennessee (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 12:35

I have been fighting yet another dry summer here in Lewisburg. I absolutely love my everbearing strawberries but they are not in love with this dry weather. Since pine needles are so dang expensive I went with shredded pine as mulch. Has anyone out there ever mulched their strawberries with shredded pine? If so are you happy with the results? I hope I have not been out there killing myself for nothing. Rhonda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulching strawberries

I haven't mulched mine yet although I really should. Straw works well. I don't know any reason why pine bark mulch wouldn't work.

o

Thanks. Anything has to beat the carpet of crabgrass that was there. lol

o

I have two types of strawberries. One that I bought at Home Depot for $5 (the ones that comes with roots in a bag) and some in at container, 4 to a container at Lowes, late in the season for $5 for two (buy one get one free). The Lowes strawberries came with berries on it already if that tells ya something. Anyway, the strawberries that I started from roots are growing just wonderfully. Busy, making runners, making strawberries. The Lowes ones look like they are dying. I am hoping they are just done for the season and going into hibernation. I am going to believe that anyway lol.

Anyway, I havent mulched them....yet. I have some pine mulch from a neighbor that cut down his pine tree and had it chipped up. He was nice enough to share. So I guess I will use that. :)

By the way, where in TN are you that it is dry? I am dying from Humidity! (Nashville here)

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

o

Rhonda we always just used straw but Dad had a 1/2 acre in berries and we'd never heard of "mulch" in the 60's & 70's. :-)

That mulch is just going to suck the nitrogen right out of your soil for its own decomposition isn't it?

o

I thought about that, Jeff. Time will tell as it is supposed to add acidity. I am still wanting June bearers but for everbearers these are so sweet. I really do not have the time for all the crap I attempt to do so a mulch of some sort is a must. Well it is worth the experiment. If they do not do well, straw it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here