Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mingtea

recommended nurseries, greenhouses, growers?

mingtea
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
We visit TN to see my in laws and friends on occasion and am wondering if anyone has recommendations for good plant spots near Nashville/tullahoma/Knoxville? I'm interested in tropicals, houseplants, C&S and exotics.

-Ming

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

There are lots of super nurseries in Tennessee, but I don't know of any (at least around here) that have an outstanding collection of the types of plants you mentioned. Actually, I'd say some of the big-box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) might be more likely to have a decent collection of houseplants than most nurseries. Big box store nurseries can be depressing (when a big percent of the plants are dead due to neglect at the store) but can also be pretty interesting if you go at the right time (especially when new shipments arrive). Most regular nurseries around here concentrate on landscape material (trees, shrubs, perennials, etc).

• TreeRoots
    9 years ago

Stanley's Greenhouse on Davenport Road (Off Cumberland Ave) has a nice selection. You can check out their FB page to get a glimpse of the greenhouse, or if you're near the area, just take a drive down there :)

• Ceilidhfae
    9 years ago

You might find some interesting things at Erins Herb Meadow. I live in Oak Ridge and its about 5 minutes away. I got my patchouli plant there, which is huge now. I remember one of the greenhouses full of different unusal flowering plants I'd not seen before. Itts definitely worth a look. She has some great stuff out there. You can find her fb page pretty easily and that has hours and directions.

• Carrie1961
    9 years ago

Moore & Moore West, 8216 Highway 100 in Nashville

• Bev Cashen
    9 years ago

I agree, Moore & Moore has a nice selection of plants. I was there last week and they were getting in their fall plants. All were healthy & beautiful.

There is another smaller nursery not too far from Moore & Moore owned by a nice lady, and her mother sits in a rocker out front. I found and bought a small Black Magic Elephant Ear plant that I love. Very healthy. In addition, the owner was nice enough to give me a cutting of a beautiful plant she called a "Firecracker" plant. It was tiny red tube like flowers on the ends of little vine like leaves. It is now in California, and I am trying to root it in water, Sorry I can't think of the name of the business but it is on Hwy 100 going towards Fairview.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Haha Lizzie , I know the nursery you are talking about! I live in burns and pass it on my way to work in Franklin . There dosnt seem to be a name or hours posted there. But she is very friendly and always seems to have local visitors . Such a charming little place!
    Riverbend nursery in Thompson station is nice too as well as bates in Nashville. And if you are downtown, gardens of Babylon is connected to the farmers market. Very nice there as well!

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator