Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irisaddict

MTPS Site - What the heck?

irisaddict
14 years ago

I went to the MTPS site today and this popped up:

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.midtnplantswap.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Comments (13)

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Looks like it may have been hacked. (Or somehow caught a virus/trojan)

Someone call Becca and let her know what is going on. (I don't have a number for her.)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

But wait, how will you know it's really her? It could be an evil impostor trying to take over the world!

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

I get a virus every time I go to the site. It started happening about a week ago.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Yea...I will say no more about the MTPS site upkeep except that if it was taken over by someone who previously offered nicely to do so (and got "slapped in the face" for doing so), this would not happen. This someone would run it on a secure Linux-based Apache web server. No hacking, no viruses, etc., etc..

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

As of yesterday, the only information that was given to me by Google is that someone "reported" to them that the site was malicious. I have requested them to scan it. I don't know if someone hacked it or what. All my other websites that I maintain were updated last week too and they are all fine.

Steve, what's up? I didn't slap you in the face. After you posted that you wanted to take over the site, I received a call and emails wondering what was going on and why I was no longer doing the website. I felt that I needed to respond to you. My contact info is on the website and I wished you would have contacted me about your website concerns before announcing my delinquency updating the swap date. I work 26 hours a day with my job and this is an extremely busy time of year for me, plus I have two very active children, a home to maintain and a Daylily business to run too. When info comes in, I update it. Otherwise, I am not going to spend time tracking folks down to send it to me.

The website IS hosted on a very secure server with a business that I rent server space from. In the 11 years that I have been doing business with them, I have never had this problem. I contacted them and they see no activity with that site. I have combed through the mountain of code and have found nothing.

Please everyone be patient and it will get resolved.

Rebecca

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

This is the first time that anything has ever happened to the site. I emailed Bec yesterday morning at 8:00 as soon as I noticed it. I can't think of anyone that I'd rather host our site and what a remarkable job Bec has done! I'd like to invite everyone to search the internet and find a better plant swap website than ours; there just ain't one.

Steve I really appreciate your willingness to help and I wish that everyone was as enthusiastic about lending a hand but Bec has this covered. She's the Webmaster of the Universe!!! Now as far as that MTPS Cookbook is concerned.... :-) Give me a holler at 310-4155 and we might be able to get that puppy off the ground.

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Wow! What is with the malls on fire attitude about the websight? Things happen online. The MTPS sight is awesome and has a wonderful record. Rebecca has always done a beautiful job. There is no system that is bullet proof. Keep in mind it is not a life support system just our websight. Glitches, viruses all things are possible in the world of web. Thus far there have been very few imperfections in the way Rebecca has gratiously ran our websight at her own expense. I am really starting to taste why Jeff wanted so badly to hand the director position to someone else. We are not paying customers here. We are supposed to be a group of friends that get together and trade plants. If this kind of chatter goes on over the websight, what are the few sour grapes going to do over a cookbook? It sounds more like a cluster to me.

• irisaddict
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't mean to stir up a hornets' nest here and meant no disrespect to our webmaster, who is doing a great job.
    I halfway expected people to reply that it was just my computer or my virus program.

So, let me step out of this pile of compost I seem to have created. Sorry for any distress this has caused Becca.

Evelyn

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

No Evelyn, you are perfectly fine! Thank you for the heads up! I was aware of the problem and should have posted here first and let everyone know I was working on it. I'm glad there are folks looking out for me and the website!

The website has been cleared by Google and everything is running fine now.

Rebecca

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

Maybe this will cheer everyone up!

It's the giant sunflower in my vegetable garden. A true volunteer!

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Knew it shouldn't take too much to get fixed. Thanks Bec.

And Steve, while I took your original offer as coming from someone new and not really aware of how things were operating, your jab in this thread was childish and uncalled for. Enthusiasm is great, petulant behavior isn't. You didn't get slapped in the face and even if you had, responding like this certainly won't help your acceptance into this forum's family atmosphere

Also, speaking as someone else who creates and manages the occasional website, Linux and Apache are great but far from invulnerable. Things happen, people deal with them. Chill out and enjoy the ride, friend.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

"Hey Tech Guy, I just received the date today for the next swap meet. As far as pictures go, I haven't received any. So, it's kinda hard to update if there's no update given.

If anybody out there has any pictures to share, you can send them to me at cannahavana at knology dot net

Oh, and the last I checked, I haven't been fired as Webmaster and I take care of any costs that incur if anybody is interested.

Rebecca"

"Hey Tech Guy" not sarcasm?

"Oh, and the last I checked, I haven't been fired as Webmaster and I take care of any costs that incur if anybody is interested." Did I say I fired her or anyone else did? No. Though Rebecca's response above was easily warranted (now that I know she received phone calls about the original post), there was still no reason for the sarcasm or "comments" directed towards me. tngreenthumb: I consider her response just as childish & uncalled for as mine, if not more, since I already apologized on the previous MTPS web site post and she has not. Regarding Linux & Apache, if you think they're far from invulnerable, then you apparently haven't worked much with them. I am a Network Admin & have been using Linux since 1995. I know a thing or two about it. I started coding HTML 3.2 in 95 also with my own shell account, using Java, cgi, perl, etc.. So, I know a thing or two about what i'm saying.

I am not trying to start anything. I'll drop the subject if Rebecca apologizes for her response to mine on the previous MTPS site thread. With that thread, I was simply pointing out that it is not updated very often at all, to be blunt. With this one, i'm simply pointing out that other options are available where issues like the virus will not happen. Calling people childish with apparently not knowing the whole story, is quite uncalled for.

- Steve

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Let's everybody play nice. It is very easy on a forum page to be taken the wrong way. Boy have I had my share of that!!! I can't believe that I haven't been permantly sent to Disneyworld and Spike sent me there enough that I could be a part owner. :-)

I think we all have enough stress and drama in our lives to the point of breaking but GW and the plant swaps should be harbors of fun that we can all enjoy and look forward to. Everything is cool now on the website so there's no need for more drama. As I have become painfully aware over the years most problems occur because of a lack of clear communication. Misunderstandings are normally just that and nothing else but most of us wear our emotions on our sleeves in cyberspace unlike in our normal lives. So everybody chill and have a good time; that's what we're here for anyway.

Yes I know that most everyone on here is thinking, "That idiot Jeff is the biggest offender of all!" Sometimes I forget that not everyone in this World realizes that I'm one sarcastic old smart-alec that usually posts with tongue planted firmly in cheek. I'm sure that I've offended pretty much everybody on here at one time or another and multiple times for quite a few but it was never my intention.

Today would be a wonderful time to just drop-kick this thread into oblivion. Ya'll have a great rest of the week!!!

Sponsored