Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcahalan_gw

Black spot on roses - plant specific or site specific?

tcahalan
13 years ago

Hi- I have a climbing yellow rose that has always had trouble with blackspot. I garden organically, but don't have time to spray as I should, so I'm thinking of removing the rose and replacing it with something that may be a little more resistant to blackspot. Other than cleaning up any fallen leaves, is there anything else I can do to treat the area where the rose grew? any other tips? I'm just wondering if this spot is always going to be trouble for a rose, and maybe I should just use a different kind of climbing plant. I'd apprciate any thoughts . . . thanks in advance!

Tina

Comments (5)

• cottagegirl_tn
    13 years ago

I would go with a more blackspot resistant rose. I have used the Bayer 3 in 1 product for roses for extra insurance. I got rid of a climbing Queen Elizabeth rose but I put a clematis in her spot. I think blackspot is just a given when trying to grow roses in the southern humidity. Some roses totally defoliate and some don't. I've had good luck with New Dawn and the Fairy...both are climbers. Good luck.

• novice_2009
    13 years ago

Tina,
    Don't know a lot about roses, but have dealt with blackspot.
    The house I moved into 5 yrs ago had a rosebush in front, and there are not gutters on front of house. It had blackspot, and the beetles ate the leaves until there was nothing left.
    I tried a few organic methods for getting rid of blackspot, and nothing worked- the site was the main factor. However, neighbor had blackspot on same kind of rosebush, and it was out in the open yard.
    I finally pulled up the rosebush, sad, but it was a losing battle and an eyesore. Thought I'd plant something in its place, something that liked moisture. I think I put black plastic on soil to try to "kill" any spores. Anyway, planted a spicebush there last fall.
    This year it has some kind of dx, probably fungal.
    Yeah, it could be the location. I wouldn't put another rose plant where that one was if I were you, but if you love roses there is a forum on here and maybe they can help you out.
    One day, when I own my own home, it will have gutters on the front and I will find a rose not susceptible to blackspot......
    Yeah, in our humidity fungal dx is an issue, at least it's been for me.
    Best of luck.
    Gretchen

• busy_bee_7tn_grow
    13 years ago

Hey there Tina.
    I grow lots of roses and can tell you that most all modern roses will have black spot to some degree or other when grown in humidity. You can grow one that is more BS resistant and get away with less spraying.
    The place you plant it can be one of the many factors that contributes to the amount of black spot a particular rose will get, but even when grown in full sun with plenty of air circulation most modern roses will need spraying.
    New Dawn is a light pink horizontal climber that is pretty good for resistance, but only flushes twice a summer. Same with White Dawn. When breeding for disease resistance, you sometimes breed out another quality~ like scent or repeat blooming. You may have to go back to growing older roses which are more BS resistant but don't bloom as much.
    The rose forums will be a great help. Get advice from someone who grows under the same conditions... NOT Phoenix or the like!
    Spores die when the leaf dies, so you don't need to worry about the soil under the bush infecting the plant.
    I like to grow clematis up and through some of my climbing roses.
    Best wishes!
    Bev

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

UT (especially one particular grad student) has done an enormous amount of research on disease resistant roses. Roses that seems very disease resistant in other parts of the country do not always perform as well here. I think UT's research would be very very helpful to anyone in this state looking for roses that will perform well here. Their publication lists quite a few roses (including newer ones) that have been found to be highly disease resistant in this part of the country. I can't find the latest publications from that group online, but I bet if you go by or call your local extension office, they could supply you with a copy of the research results so far, including the list of recommended cultivars. I get a copy at Bloomsday each year. I have a copy of last year's report but, unfortunately, didn't get an updated copy this year. If you want a copy and can't find/get one, let me know and I can scan and email you last year's copy.

• krikit
    13 years ago

If by chance you are coming to the East TN Plant swap this fall, I'll hopefully have a small plant of 'Crepescule'. It's a yellow climber that is SUPPOSED to be disease resistant. The cuttings were sent to me from a friend in Mississippi and he says it does well for him - and you know he's dealing with heat and humidity. Of course since it's new to me I can't speak to it's disease resistance here, but you'd be welcome to it if you're in our area and coming to the swap. It's also supposed to have few thorns, and that's a real plus to me!!!

Frances

Sponsored