Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krikit_gw

Depth of roots for Rose of Sharon?

krikit
16 years ago

Does anyone know how deep rooted these shrubs are? I'm needing to put one in the ground in my Mom's yard, but the best spot is near the field lines for her septic system. I'm thinking that the guy who installed it said it would be fine to plant small trees near by, so that sounds like it would be o.k., but would really hate to mess it up with roots.

Thanks in advance,

Frances

Comments (11)

• atwork
    16 years ago

Normally, most of the roots would stay in the top 8" to 12" of soil, BUT in a case like this, I would go back to the/a septic system installer and ask their opinion. If the roots are growing near the drain field, they many not react like they would in other locations. I'm not a plumber, but I would consider that septic fields might change the soil dynamics because of drainage issues, extra moisture levels, and introduction of air underground.

• atwork
    16 years ago

P.S. If you are planting over a drain line, but not anywhere near the drain field, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

• krikit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks 'atwork' - I'll talk to the guy and tell him what you estimate the normal root depth

Frances

• lnwn
    13 years ago

would they be safe to plant near a home... if so how near? I want to plant one up against my house for privacy.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    13 years ago

Lnwn, I had a ton of wild Rose of Sharon in my Maryland yard. They quickly put down a long tap root. Which is why you must dig them out early and often. I do suspect that taproot is well suited to our Tennessee clay. Are you growing it as a tree or shrub? They are only good as a screen for only maybe 4 months a year in Maryland.

The first few years I would cut the volunteers at soil level in the spring without poisoning the cut. That turned into a great way to prune them into a shrub, alas. And all through my azalea border. Seriously, I found them near impossible to kill.

I had the intentional ones 3 feet from the house and would suggest a tad bit more. FWIW, they did well in shade.

• retiredteach10
    12 years ago

My son just bought a 70 year old house that has Rose of Sharon coming up all over the place. Some of it is very close to the foundation and we can't get to the roots to dig it up completely. I hate the thought of killing it but I don't want it doing damage to the house. Any suggestions of what to do with it? We have cut it back as far as we can but it just keeps growing.

• heathersgarden
    12 years ago

Hi retired,

You can kill most plants non chemically by continuously cutting back so that the leaves cannot feed the roots. It eventually exhausts the plant, but this is a tactic that requires extreme vigilance. I think using Roundup, or the generic, made for applying to cut stumps may be the most efficient.

Ps: I recall reading an article concerning function plants and the damage they can cause. It was determined that except in rare cases even very large trees next to a house do not threaten a foundation. One of the rare exceptions to this is willows and water pipes. Their roots are like water seeking missiles and they will seriously mess up underground plumbing. Other than that though, chances are you don't need to worry about some dinky rose of sharon shrubs:)

Hope this helps!

• retiredteach10
    12 years ago

Thanks heathersgarden. I'll try the roundup and see if we can get it cleared up.

• Gwen Schmitz
    6 years ago

I planted one of my rose of Sharon next to my Daughter's Headstone when it was a baby, now it's about 6 feet tall, and the caretakers want to cut it down saying roots could be a problem! If I cut it back down to a shrub, do you think it would be?!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    6 years ago

Gwen, do you know what kind of problems they are worried about the roots creating? There's not much to go on here, but it sounds like maybe they are just making an excuse to get rid of something they don't want around.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville