Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandsquid

topic/speaker for Fall '08 Memphis Swap

sandsquid
15 years ago

Reminder that 01_OCT_2008 is the date for the Memphis Area Plant swap.

Anybody have any suggestions for topics/guest speakers etc?

Comments (19)

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Isn't that supposed to be November 1st? I will brainstorm with our local (multiple) society members for speakers and let you know what we come up with, if any. Diane Meucci of "Gardens Oy Vey" is a talented local speaker. I don't know her schedule, of course, but she is one possibility. I'll get crackin" on it, Sir!

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, 01_NOV is correct.

Whoever you come up with, just keep in mind he have _LESS_THAN_zero_budget ;-( So if they will come speak for lunch and cuttings, that would be cool.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Diane is a wonderful speaker, it has been a few years since I have heard her speak. If that doesn't work out I think any topic on being more eco friendly in the garden would be good.

Mary

• leighmac
    15 years ago

I assumed we would ask for a volunteer speaker, since no one has funds. Sorry I didn't communicate that.

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Ava has suggested we contact the Memphis Area Master Gardeners for speakers. They have a speakers bureau and a list of topics. How about checking the topics out and picking a few of our most wanted and then I(or anyone else) can contact them? I am happy to take care of this, of course.

Here is a link that might be useful: Memphis Area Master Gardeners

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

leighmac, thanks for the offer to take the lead on this. Yes, if you or anybody else wants to run with it, please do so, I'm WAY too busy. Also allow me to stress that I'm not trying to steer the group... I'm just listing couple of topics that seem to jump out at me personally, based on where my interests lay:

****Plant Propagation
    *** Community Gardens (since that is my goal for the church)
    *** Trellises and Arbors (I'm struggling in the heat, to complete one now. ;-(
    *** Water Garden (My lovely wife want's one)
    ** Soil (does the clay we have even qualify as "soil"?!?!?!)
    ** Beekeeping (only the non-stinging kind please ;-)
    ** Horticulture Therapy (kinda late since I already built a "Therapeutic Garden" but I'd like to find out what I did right and wrong from a "Pro")

• leighmac
    15 years ago

John,
    Great list! It was hard for me to choose, but I was curious about community gardening and soil. I hope others come by and make their suggestions.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I think composting or anything to make our gardens more eco friendly would be good.

Mary

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Bump!
    Surely we have more West Memphis contributors with an opinion/interest?
    By the way, where's Lani? I admit to being irregular here this summer but every time I have checked this forum, she and Atoka Teddy have been absent. I saw them both in person back in June but have lost their telephone numbers. At that time Atoka Dawn said she had been having trouble with her internet access. Any one heard anything? I so hope all is well. Thanks!

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

Howdy Folks!!!! I am interested in the Plant Propagation and Water Gardens since I am putting up my second greenhouse soon. I need all the info on these topics that I can get. Jackie

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, that's two votes for propagating as well as water gardens.

Wife has been dropping some (not so subtle) hints about a water feature... Not that I NEED another project right now.

Leighmac, did you get a chance to call them about possible speakers yet?

• leighmac
    15 years ago

John,
    I have not. I was hoping for more input. I think we have a bit more time, but I don't want to be too late, so I am hoping some more folks will weigh in. If we still only have the current suggestions by mid September, then I will certainly request those only. I think that's going to be good enough. What say all you West TN folks?

• Jan_Hobbs
    15 years ago

Just a suggestion from Middle TN Plant Swap. Maybe it will save you some grief. DON'T ASK CAPTAIN COMPOST!!!! He agreed to come speak for us and we told him we would take up a love offering for him. It wasn't big enough to suit him. When the swap was over he came to my hubby and demanded $150 because that was his usual fee, if it hadn't been that we had put in canoes that day (we have a canoe rental) we couldn't have given it to him. Oh, he was a good speaker, but I lost all respect of him after that. Make sure whoever you get UNDERSTANDS that it is a freebie or that you will ask for donations if that is what you decide, and they will AGREE with that.
    Good luck, and I hope you have a big turnout.

Jan

• leighmac
    15 years ago

WOW! That is crass! Thanks for the warning Jan. I will be sure to ask about fees. Propagation and water features it is if we can get them. I will wait until just after Labor day and then call. I will update with the results.

• judydean
    15 years ago

I am really looking forward to this swap! Regarding speakers, I would love to know more about propagation - mine is so hit & miss - mostly miss. Since this is only my 2nd swap ever, I'm unsure about whether to post what we are bringing or not. Help?

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Alrighty then! Propagation and water features it is! I will call this coming week and see what we can get. I will post back as soon as I get a response from the Master Gardeners.

By the by, I found Lani's telephone number this week (cleaning my piles of paper, don'tcha know) and called her. She is doing fine. Her modem fried and she hasn't replaced it yet. She and Wanda(AtokaTeddy) have been harvesting all kinds of veggies from a neighbor's garden and canning, freezing and such.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Judy, have you looked in the propagation forum? there are instructions for an easy propagation chamber. I am not real good with propagation but this is the think I have had the best luck with.

Mary

• judydean
    15 years ago

Mary, thanks for the suggestion. It's embarrassing that I didn't think of that! Sorry! See you at the swap!

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Your welcome Judy, I hate to direct you to a different thread rather answer you directly but that thread has so much info in it. Hope you found something useful.

Mary

Sponsored