Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anybody else having major bug problems?

Posted by novice_2009 zone 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 15:04

I've got bugs this year like you wouldn't believe!!!
I live in Maury County, and as you all know it's been a bad weather year...but seriously, I can't believe it.
Just to list a few ( that I can identify) :
cuke beetles(striped and spotted)
leafhoppers, caterpillars (all kinds), big black ants, squash bugs, blister beetles,
stinkbugs( I think)
grasshoppers
and these are just the ones I've seen and can identify!
And it's not just a few, it's a LOT of them.
I'm an organic gardener, so this poses a problem.
Anybody else having a bad bug year?
If so, what pests?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anybody else having major bug problems?

I have had visitors in my pond eating my water lillies...grrr. They are the biggest black looking caterpillars I have ever seen. Other than that - the wasps, ladybugs, spiders and birds have done a good job keeping the bad critters at bay. But my poor water lillies...they are a sad sad case. :(

o

I've had squash bug issues. They took out my squash plants then moved on. I just replanted some more summer squash so hopefully I can get a better crop. Cucumber beetles also spread the wilt on my cukes. Time to replant again!

o

I had the seeds to plant fall crop of greens, I dont' think I will with the major bug problems this year. I'll save row covers for spring. Caterpillars destroyed calendula seedlings, and have been isssue on other plants as well.
I think I'll remove everything from veggie garden, till( if I can borrow one) or double dig. Then I'll keep garden free of all weeds, leaf debris, etc. Keep grass mowed...and pray.
Just this morning, found a new bug in flower/herb garden: some kinda worms in webs at the flowering ends of my applemint...there goes my mint tea..yuck.
Do yo all use insecticides?
I think I musta put up a sign in my yard that said: organic gardener : every bug that exists welcome!!!!

o

I would say definitely the bugs are wild this year. Aphids, whiteflies, leafhoppers, grasshoppers, wasps and ants are all thick. And I've seen three bugs I've never encountered in my life, including this one today:

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Ichneumon Wasp

o

antonia, thank you much for posting the pics and info on the Giant Ichneumon Wasp. Fascinating. Will be sharing with my 'little friends' who I've tried to educate about all the beneficials in the garden.

o

Other than Japenese beatles, it's not been too bad here. I actually found a eco- friendly spray that killed those on contact so I didn't have to spray the whole plant and endanger my polinators. i wrote a blog post today about what I did to get rid of squash borers - it worked. I also grew all veggies in containers and I believe that helped with bug problems. Link to that post below.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing in containers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here