Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtleoak

'Hiwassee' wax myrtle available...

myrtleoak
12 years ago

Ellenbergs in Knoxville has the 'Hiwassee' cultivar of max myrtle for sale. This cultivar comes from the original plant in the UT trial gardens that has survived -3 with only slight leaf burn and makes a tall hedge or small evergreen tree. Sorry, Brandon, but wax myrtle does grow in Knoxville:P

Comments (11)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Ya know, it seems to me I predicted just that!
    (-;

"Dirr lists Myrica cerifera as hardy to zone 8, (but) I'd bet someone has one or two growing successfully in a protected area here..."

People grow palms, bananas, and other tropicals here, so one would certainly expect to find someone growing wax myrtles too.

• krikit
    12 years ago

Myrtleoak - thanks for posting!!! I've been wanting a wax myrtle and planned on ordering one this fall - but much prefer buying local.

• krikit
    12 years ago

Myrtleoak,

Do you know the approximate height of the wax myrtle at the trial garden? I'm wondering about how tall the mature height would be. Thanks in advance.

Frances

• myrtleoak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was 8-10 feet. Last time I was there, it had been removed:(

• travisdm4
    12 years ago

Yeah Brandon, I think Dirr is actually wrong. I know the Myrica 'Hiwassww is hardy to zone 7 myself. Have one living just fine about a mile down the road from the house. Millers Creek, NC almost zone 6. To krikit full grown size would be about 15 to 20' high and about 10-15' wide.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Travis,
    What are you basing your conclusion on (besides the presence of one specimen in a location who's microclimate we probably know little about)? Dirr is joined by numerous other researchers and growers in rating Myrica cerifera as hardy to zone 8. When you question something that most people (that know about the subject) agree upon, it only makes sense to have a solid basis for your claim. Otherwise, the claim is of little use. It's not that Dirr and many others can't be wrong, but the likelihood, at least compared to a single anecdotal hunch, is slim. Hardiness zone ratings are generally based on performance of multiple plants grown in various conditions, and conclusions are usually geared toward average conditions in the areas where the plants are typically found. The picture is was too large to be described or completely understood by one plant!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

replace "was" with "way".

• TommyNashville
    12 years ago

Is wax myrtle 'Hiwassee' the same as the regular wax myrtle I know? Mine have no problem here in zone 7.

This is how it started:

This is it now- even after being split by a storm:
    {{gwi:1275108}}

More wax myrtle and live oak I have:
    {{gwi:1275104}}

They sell it here at Lowes.

• krikit
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics Tommy! thanks for posting those - makes me want one now more than ever :-)

thanks!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Krikit,

What you need are some of those hardy palms. There's more than one type that are hardier than wax myrtles, and think of how neat it would be to have one! You'd probably be the only one in the neighborhood.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor