Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Score one for the good guys.

Posted by anntn6b z6b TN (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 1, 11 at 15:56

The good guys being me and my neighbors.

Under the catagory 'never underestimate the stupidity of your neighbors', I'll report that a new neighbor about two miles upwind was carefully weedwhacking his front yard, taking down red hot poker plants and iris leaves and very carefully leaving every thistle.

Well, somebody whacked his thistles, just before the seeds let loose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Score one for the good guys.

Sounds like a risky operation compared to the payoff, but maybe it was worth it just for the satisfaction. (-:

o

Sounds like guerilla gardening at it's finest!! Nice work, well at least tell those good guys nice work (tee hee!)

o

Glad you guys don't know where I live. If you came into my yard and cut the thistles, you'd be getting a visit from the police.

Maybe the neighborly thing to do would have been to visit with the new neighbor and explain your concerns.

o

Thurston, Surely you don't mean to say that you let thistles go to seed in your yard? Unless you own four hundred acres in any direction, you really would be a bad neighbor.
I didn't cut them down. FWIW. I expect his landlord, who owns the fields around that house and who cuts hay from those fields, might have been the 'cut or else' instigator.

o

I need one of the "good guys" to visit some of the fields around my place. You'd think that the hay people would want to cut the hay BEFORE the dang things went to seed, but that's not how it happens most of the time. One field, a few miles away, was especially bad last year. It was like 50 acres of pure thistle.

o

Yes and no. I do spread new seed each year where I want them. But just as they finish blooming, the flower heads are cut off into a plastic bag and disposed of. So it's a controlled seeding and I dig up a lot of them when they sprout in the Spring.

I grew up digging them out of cow pastures.... maybe that's why I like them now. I also have a patch of Queen Anne's Lace and butterfly weed.

I'd gladly let any of you come pull up the poison ivy that seems to have made a resurgence this year.......

o

Thurston,
Any chanch you're successfully growing artichokes? Similar plant, but delicious. My seedlings got wiped out by a hail storm, but I will try them again, next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here