Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crepe Myrtle shedding bark question??

Posted by utdeedee 7AEast TN (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 16:25

I have 3 Crepe Myrtles and one of them is shedding it's bark. They are 6 yrs. old. The other two seem fine. Does anyone know if this is normal in our East TN area or should I be worried?
Thanks. Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crepe Myrtle shedding bark question??

Well....mature crepe myrtles are *supposed* to have peeling bark, so it depends on what you mean by "shedding". If it's simply making mottled patches on the trunks, that's normal.

o
RE: Crepe Myrtle shedding bark question-probably normal

I removed a large area of bark at the base of the tree that had come off. I am assuming it is normal.

o

As long as it's growing and blooming normally, don't worry about it. It's probably just maturing and beginning its normal peeling. But if you see any lesions under the peeled area -- sunken areas, dark color, moisture, etc. -- then you can start to worry.

o

Crepe Myrtle's = messy, the ones I had shed a ton and then you have seed and flower debris, but the looked too nice to complain!

o

I love the peeling bark of Crepes!

o

Thanks all. They are growing, blooming ok. So, I assume it's nothing to worry about. This was the first year for them to this that was my concern.
D.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here