Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmgoss_gw

Flowers to plant in autumn

lmgoss
12 years ago

I have successfully grown several flowers in my front beds (from plants, not seeds). The ones that have done the best are lantana, vinca and angelonia. I would like to plant some flowers in the fall but have no idea which ones. I am not a big fan of mums. I love lots of color and low maintenance plants (like lantana). I live in Brentwood. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Lisa

Comments (3)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

Are you wanting things that will bloom in fall or are you just wanting things that will survive until next year when planted in fall?

If you are looking for fall performance, chrysanthemums and asters are the old standbys. You can find many other suggestions by googling 'fall blooming flowers', 'fall blooming annuals', etc.

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    12 years ago

I am working on plans for a front border and hope to have something blooming most of the year. From what I understand, the following bulbs will bloom in the fall: colchicum, fall crocus, sterbergia, lycoris radiata, and lycoris squamigera. (I don't have experience with any of these yet.) As Brandon noted, I am also considering perennial chrysanthemums and asters.

• fivemurfs
    12 years ago

Hi neighbor! I'm in Oak Hill/Crieve Hall.

I'm not familiar with Angolina but Annual Vinca and Lantana will bloom until frost. If your plants look leggy, cut them back and fertilize them.

Perennial salvia is another one that blooms all season as long as you keep it cut back.

You can't lose scattering some seeds. Have you thought of plain old fashioned zinnias. If you plant seeds right now you'll have a good crop by mid September and they will bloom until frost. The same goes for Cosmos. They don't drink a lot of water and they are showy and colorful.

Too late for this fall, but if you can get some Cockscomb seeds and scatter them this fall you'll have a beautiful display next year. Their dark read foliage looks great with blackeyed Susan, orange cosmos and purple salvia and boring old mums.

Another one to consider for next year is Pineapple Sage. It's a tender perennial herb so it may or may not come back. Plant it in the spring for a big and bushy plant with bright red tube like flowers that hummingbirds love.

For foliage there are many beautiful varieties of Canna that make great background plants with their big colorful leaves. Castor bean plants are also big and beautiful.

Consider black seeded simpson lettuce. It's the prettiest shade of lime green, it tastes great and it will go until a really hard freeze. Swiss Chard 'bright lights' is also beautiful and edible. Both will need water while it's hot.

Everything I've suggested here is low maintenance and simple to grow in this area. Have fun!