Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn08_gw

Hibiscus Help

lynn08
15 years ago

I bought a hibiscus from walmart on a whim cause it was marked down so much. I put it in a huge pot on my deck. It is really gorgeous. What should I do this fall for it? Does it need to be cut back or anything?

Comments (7)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

First, check to see whether it's a hardy hibiscus or a tropical one. It is probably tropical -- I don't think I've ever seen hardy hibiscus at Walmart. If it is tropical, you'll need to take it inside -- it won't survive outside over the winter.

When you do take it in, cut it back and give it as much humidity as you can while it's inside. Many or most of the leaves will fall off when you take it in, but don't panic. I got three tropical hibiscus through the winter inside this past year. :-)

• lynn08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure it is a tropical. I tossed the tag by accident. The hardy ones are the ones with the huge flowers, right? Do you think it would be ok in the garage? I am cramped for space indoors. Thanks for your help!

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I have never tried to over winter a hibiscus in the garage but I do have numerous tropical plants that I over winter in the garage. The key is not to over water them, and put them in the warmest part of your garage And (this is the hard part) train your family not to leave the door up for any reason!!!!! I told mine all winter long they were going to be personally resposible for global warming if they killed my plants.

Mary

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Hi again -

The hardy hibiscus don't *always* have huge flowers, but the huge ones are most common. If yours blooms in any color outside of the white/pink/red/purple range (yellow, orange, apricot, etc.) then it's definitely tropical. The bush structure is also different, with the tropical ones making more of a true bush while the hardy ones are more like large stalks coming out of the ground.

I dunno about the garage. You'll just have to try it and see. Good luck!

• lynn08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, its tropical. It is apricot colored and a true large bush. I am just going to try and clear out a space in my office for it. I get attached to my flowers once I care for them all summer~ don't want to risk the garage.

thanks again!

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

I think I read somewhere once that tropical hibiscus has glossier/darker leaves.

Anyway, yes, it can come inside for the winter and should do very well! It might drop leaves, as mentioned, but it leafs right back out in spring. I did this several times, and I am not well-known for coddling house plants :)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

I hadn't thought about the glossy leaves, but now that you mention it I can see that you're right. Good thought!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting