Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black beetles destroying crookneck squash

Posted by veggiepirate Knoxville (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 21:42

All of my crookneck squash plants have recently died after producing just a few squash. At first I thought it was the Squash Vine Borer, but upon further inspection, it appears that there are tiny black beetles (less than 1/4 in. long) that are boring through my squash vines. It almost looked like termite damage when I tore open the dead vines. I believe the same thing happened to my zucchini plants, they also died very quickly. I don't think it's the squash bug as I have already researched it. Does anyone have any idea what this pest is or might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black beetles destroying crookneck squash

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 14:57

Probably not...but could it be Black Flea Beetles? I think they usually attack other stuff, but they do look like you describe.

o

That is what someone on another forum suggested also. I had never heard of them, but I think that might be what it is after looking them up. Thanks for the suggestion!

o

Thanks for bringing this up. We live in Maryville and have had the same problems with our squash and zucchini. It was a mystery to us. My husband put some insect dust and all but one of our plants came back and have started to produce.

o

I just found these this morning after losing three plants almost overnight, small black beetles boring into the vines. I will try soapy spray, they are definitely not the flea beetle, much larger. About 1/4" long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here